Amp - preamp or integrated

This topic has appeared in the past but I like to hear audiophile suggestions specially if they honest. I currently have the Rogue Chronus Magnum II. With Vandersteen 2 sig. Soon I will sell the house and will have some extra $ for upgrades. I have 4 questions:

Is the amp/ pre amp a better way to go than integrated? Two choices Rogue and Parasound.
Is the mono blocks / preamp an even better way to go?
If I decide to go with mono blocks, due budget considerations , I will be looking at used or an small company/audio engineer where I can keep the cost under 3000. If I go with a small company product, how do I know it is a good quality prod. Vs big companies like Rogue etc?

All your comments to all or any of my questions is highly appreciated. Thanks
128x128lobinero
After decades of separates including McIntosh, Krell Classe I have opted for a Hegel H590. It has a to die for DAC and the amp technology of the H30. A bonus, it does a terrific job streaming with airplay, audirvana, Qobuz, and others. I don’t miss the complexity and extra cables of separates. Give it some consideration. This amp is a winner. 
There are now some excellent quality integrated units.  One that I liked almost as much as the separate was the VAC Sigma170i .  Yes, that's an expensive unit but it is high quality throughout with optional phono.  I have the room and cabling for separates but if I had to limit my cabling costs, a great integrated would do.  I've also heard a great Luxman integrated.  I'd get a separate DAC because that technology changes too quickly.
while it is true that separates typically sound better, each component requires a high quality power cord and interconnect to benefit from the upgrade, with careful attention to the base each component rests on for proper isolation

If your budget doesn't allow for a sizeable expenditure in cables and PCs, you are much better off with a nice integrated.

There are some fantastic class D integrateds; Hattor and Nord come to mind.

hth
Stick to a Tube Pre-amp if you want to save your self from headaches (Listeners Fatigue) 

An Excellent Choice would be the MP-3 from Atma-Sphere.