smaller room monitors

Does anyone have a recommendation or experience with a listening position 7 to 8 feet from speakers?  This is for 50/50 music/home theater.  Would 2.1 or 2.2 system work here.  Or just throw up two floorstanders?  Don't mind buying used speakers.  Have a SVS PB2000 sub I can use to supplement low end.  Thought maybe someone had already been down this road to save some time/$.  Like to be under $1500 for 2 speakers.  Warmer>brighter.

stingray65365
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7605

Once I added acoustic treatments ($700) I was off to the races. The room sounds great now with the LS50 monitor. I am going to put in a PAradigm Persona 3F floor stander using a DSP capable preamp. I know that the treated room can now handle the large speaker.

The LS50 passive can be had for $800 used. If you do not have amp + preamp the ACTIVE version of the LS50 is something to look into.
Any LS3/5A type speaker would be a perfect fit. There is a pair of Spendor D1 monitors listed here for $1550. They will blend real nice with the SVS subwoofer. BTW, I have been down that road and with a Spendor or Harbeth I doubt you would go wrong!
There are many monitor speakers that work well in a 2.1 music/video system. Sub is great addition with video, and can be with music, depending on room dimensions. In some circumstances you might find that you don't use the sub with music. Much to do with the room and room treatments. What is room dimensions? 
11" x 25" rectangle . den open to kitchen. Only one orientation possible due to front door. Couch to tv/speakers 8'.