Groovy Picture

In commemoration of the Grammys.

This photo shows a colorized scanning electron microscope image of a phonograph needle in the groove of a vinyl record. The texture inscribed along the walls of the spiral groove replicates the soundwaves as they were recorded.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wE0pmwsl&id=3A480F272429B2A3765C569B4B...
steakster
@uberwalts ahh, ok 

For some reason i just can't find any SAS availabe for sale at JICO website. 
@larryi 

This is an image of the Victor MC-L1000 with PRINTED COIL under microscope. Audio-Technica guys were inspired by this vintage cartridge when they created new AT ART-1000  
Chakster,

That is a very interesting picture.  I like the idea of printing the coil (certainly easier than winding), but this structure looks a lot more massive than the ART-1000's coil, which must significantly increase the moving mass of the system (on the plus side, the large number of windings means higher output).

Have you heard the ART-1000 and can compare the sound to the Victor?  There are a number of unusual designs that have gone by the wayside that actually sounded quite promising.  I wish someone would make the field-effect transistor cartridge again (the gate element of the transistor is a permanently charged electret that is attached to the cantilever; to me, a really clever idea).
@larryi
hey, i tried to find a good working sample of Victor MC-1 since i missed a bunch of them doscovered by my friend on Gran Canaria Island in NOS condition in original boxes about 7 years ago. His price was ridiculously low, but at that time i could not find any information about that rare Victor cartridge until he sold all of them.

Now i have working MC-1 and finally managed to get an MC-L10 (NOS) which seem to be the most balanced out of 3 of them (the MC-L1000 was next). The price for all those Victor Direct Coupled cartridges dramatically increased after Audio-Technica made their ART-1000.

I’ve never tried the ART-1000 and its price tag is much higher than i currently pay for cartridges. So i study this method with Victor MC-1 and MC-L10.