Audio Technica VM540ML v. N97xe Jico SAS

Gonna pull the trigger on a new cart/needle in the next month. Any recommendations between the 2 mentioned above?
bstatmeister
Compliance is the stiffness of the suspension. The moving system of the tonearm/cartridge can be modeled as a weight on top of a spring. The weight being the effective mass of the moving system and the stiffness of the spring being the compliance of the cartridge suspension. Both the stifness of the suspension and the effective mass yielding the primary resonance of the moving system.

A cursory examination will reveal the the stiffness of the spring can be increased, or decreased, independently of the moving mass of the tonearm/cartridge system. The two parameters being uncorrelated and the tracking force being only very broadly correlated with compliance.

If you look at the published specs here:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP150.html

and click on the “specs” tab here:

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/e7a3d4bc8b248b64/index.html

You will see see the difference.

Of equal interest, is that the AT uses a radical stylus profile, while the Nagaoka is a nude mounted elliptical. If all dimensional parameters can be adjusted to correctly align the stylus with the groove, the much larger contact area of the radical stylus will distribute the tracking force over a larger contact area increasing stylus life as well as decreasing groove wear. Of course, none of this will tell you which cartridge you will prefer; only an audition will do that.

What's your budget? There are much better cartridges available on the market NEW or NOS (vintage) than 2-3 manufacturers people often mention here.  
Given that most 1 meter phono ICs connecting the turntable to the phono preamo will be about 100 pf, added to the Mani’s, the total 200 pf will be the capacitance load. If you look, some cartridge manufacturers will specify the optimal capacitance loading for a given model, usually in the 200-250 pf range. This spec determines how the extreme high end of the cartridge will respond but I’ve never found it to be highly significant. I have a Manley Steelhead phono stage that allows a great amount of capacitance adjustability; the results are very very subtle when playing with this parameter on MM cartridges. Nagaoka likes a lower figure of about 100 pf total, but that’s almost impossible given cables and phono pre inputs. I too use a Mani for my MMs and all three of my Nagaokas, 110, 150 and 200 sound terrific through it with a standard IC for a total of about 200 pf.
@chakster what do you recommend that is new (no NOS) for no more than $300 that is better than the AT VM540ML, Nag MP150, or N97 Jico S.A.S?
Look at these brand new Garrott Brothers cartridges, prices are in Australian Dollars (not in USD), so you have to calculate the actual price. Garrott K3 has Shibata stylus tip and cost USD 283 (AUD 400). You can upgrade any of them with Jico SAS if you want. You can also upgrade them with original Garrott styli anytime. I am a big fan of Garrott P77.  

First of all: you limit yourself if you ignoring NOS cartridges from the pinnacle of MM era (it was in the 70's, not now), they are 10 times better than anything new. Even if they are more expensive they are still the best you can buy today if you want an MM or MI. 

Some of the vintage carts can accomodate Jico SAS if you like Jico so much, as been said before Victor Z1 can be upgraded with SAS. But most of the vintage cartridges are just great with original styli. 

This guy selling NOS Pickering for low price, it's it's new and never used you can buy it. Just make sure the stylus is D3000 (Stereohedron) and it has mounting hardware kit (plastic blackets to mount a cartridge). This is a great cartridge, search online about it. Everyone is happy.

I think Grace F8 Custom is a great low budget cartridge if the stylus is something like RS8F blue (Shibata). Victor X-1IIe is great cartridge with titanium cantilever. You can also search for Stanton 881s on ebay for around $350. Here is more about Stanton in TAS article.