The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
That is one cable that I have found no difference with.    HDMI cable for video purposes produce all the same video quality on a high end 4K 75" top of the line Sony LCD TV.  Someone lent me a $170 cable to compare to my $15 or $20 Fry's HDMI cable (6' length).   Many video enthusiasts told me the same thing.  No difference. 

USB cables differ in audio quality, but not HDMI high speed cable for 4K.  Maybe they will need a higher speed transfer rate for 8K or the future, but not now.
I went for the Audioquest Carbon HDMI Cable that’s controlled for directionality. Fabulous, film quality video. Forget about it. Having said that, there’s no such thing as a silver bullet. Sometimes there’s not much that can be done. That goes for video or audio.

From my perspective we have made great progress; we are at the point of asking skeptics to try something. Previously it was all theoretical discussion. Now, there can actually be something done to perhaps change some minds. Because we all know how effective decades of arguing on the topic has been. :(

cd318, would you like to try Schroeder Method of Interconnect Placement?

I am looking for a simple "yes" or "no". Let’s stick to ICs, and if you become abusive or ridicule I am finished discussing it with you. If you say yes, and would like to cordially discuss it, I am open to it.

BTW, for those just joining us... Schroeder Method is at this time still experimental; I advise that it is a "do at your own risk" activity. Thus far there have been no negative outcomes re: equipment reported, but there is concern by some regarding class D amps. I encourage anyone who is not sure to consult with their equipment manufacturer as to suitability of it. (P.S. Ignore laughter and ridicule; push on for an answer to suitability. I have received everything from mockery to congratulations by designers and manufacturers). Curious parties should read the original Audio Blast article on Schroeder Method at dagogo.com

@douglas_shroeder

I imagine that if you would dismiss all these persons' conclusions you would say it is due to confirmation bias. 

FWIW...I personally don't simply dismiss your findings as confirmation bias.

Not that I know either way how the perceived effect is occurring, but I don't dismiss it out of hand.   I'm sure it's fun to play with these things, especially if you get results, obviously.

Though I gave up playing with cables quite a while ago, I still do my own tweaking sometimes(usually with acoustics).  Hey..it's a hobby!