What is your experience with the law of diminishing returns ?

As subjective as it might be. Personally, I have not encountered it yet.
inna
I think that Elizabeth has it right in terms of marginal cost / marginal gain curve.   One might quibble about price point (not a lot).

Then the owner’s financial condition as well as sensitivity to the curve must be factored in.

For myself, I lust after the new 30.7 Maggie’s, but a house downsizing leaves me a room 23 x14, not quite large enough. At the end of the day, I love where I am I terms of my system, but we always see the greener grass smiling at us, LOL.

Also, often lost are the relatively inexpensive tweaks, I.e. room treatments, etc.
Reminds me of the old line, "What's the difference between a $2.00 cigar and a $10.00 cigar?"  Answer:  "$8.00"
One knows then the good old diminishing returns (more money than sense is a better term) has truly set in when one's stereo is to good for Redbook CD's........haha
Past year I upgraded plenty*, and NOW, my CD playback is spectacular. I mean SPECTACULAR!!!! WHOO HOO SPECTACULAR. Any questions?
* up from 3.6 to 20.7 Magnepan
Up from cheap used DAC to Marantz SA-10 used as DAC
Upgraded all AC duplex (including in power conditioners) to Furutech GTX-D
Upgraded most power cords to Pangea AC14XLAdded PS Audio Noise Harvesters (7) to AC lines and conditioners.
And did I mention CD playback is spectacular.. (so is LP playback btw)
inna
I have done what you said in your first post and never have looked back and yes it was worth it.