We are buying and reviewing gear all wrong

So let's assume that cables, power conditioners and electronics all contribute noticeably to the sounds we hear.

In that case, maybe the idea of buying individual gear, reviewing individual gear, etc. is all messed up.
We should review entire systems, and buy entire systems.

This idea that we constantly shuffle interconnects, speaker and power cords for all our lives is messed up.

We shouldn't be looking at audio stores or reviewers as recommending gear, but themes. Styles. Entire collections all at once.
erik_squires
Linn UK
Offer whole systems based on stereo or multi channel source and active speakers.
And the probably sell loads of them. Smart marketing with smart products. Great market. Indeed doubt many are found here. Erik proposed a different review and sales strategy. Isn’t this exactly what takes place at Hi-Fi shows? Aren’t they system demo’s. There’s Nagra teamed with Wilson’s etc. Magazine reviewers will struggle to reproduce these or similar experiences for their reviews. Oth John Darko often compares similar units in a specific category headphones or dacs and so on in one review for comparison. How is a package to be assembled for a reviewer, who will coordinate and ship the package?
The whole audiophile thing really is insane...like disturbingly nuts!!  It misses the whole point of the music and having fun.  I remember selling HiFi gear back in the early 80’s when you could get a whole system that sounded very engaging for $2-$3 grand.  Spent the rest of my life chasing shadows and wondering why I enjoyed music more back then compared to anytime since.  Why didn’t the audiophile approved gear simply communicate the emotion and fun of the music more readily?  Maybe that much maligned mid bass hump was actually a good thing...at least it sounded more like a real band playing.  Too much over dampening and flat frequency response angst ruined audio for me.  Live music is crazy dynamic and loud with energy you can feel...it is not flat or damped!

I understand your post but what I don't understand is all the different recommendations and advice that I read about here on Audiogon.  For example, I have heard some of the equipment that I see recommended such as for this price X brand is a no brainer, or I purchased X Brand and in my system it sounds fantastic, or I had that and this one sounds better.  IMO, there are too many people posting replies with advice or recommendations who simply do not have the experience to evaluate something.  I am very lucky as there are three audio clubs in my area so hearing different equipment not only in my system bit other peoples systems I think allows for a better evaluation and recommendation.  People will lend out a piece of gear no problem even very expensive gear.  Don't take me wrong as I value every opinion but  there has to be more to the opinion.  I guess the real question to me is how much experience does the person recommending here on Audiogon have.  I also build and modify components so I really am lucky to hear the potential of a component, and have it in my system to compare to other components for a IMO better evaluation.  Not that I am an expert so I invite people over for a play night and get multiple opinions.  It really becomes a fun evening.  A month back I had people over and we did a capacitor shootout.  Understanding how that impacts the sound was a great experience.  We all ordered the same capacitor to upgrade our amps and preamps!  But seriously, I do not want to come off as if I know better but I do find some peoples recommendations and opinions less experienced to make them.

Just sayin' don't crush me on this, I hope this is more helpful that not to many here that I have enjoyed reading posts from, etc.

Happy Listening.    

Yes it is true a wide open forum invites all levels of experience. Some folks offer advice who really have no comparison, they just like what they own. Then folks whose personal experience with one system and few changes... they think applies to everyone,      
To bigkidz.. You are amazingly lucky to have such a group of audiophiles around! I can certainly see how reading so much drivel here (and elsewhere) is annoying. The thing is, most of us have no group of audio friends who do such stuff. So THIS is the best we can get.
BigKidz, sounds great but it also speaks to my post.  Why not have a couple brews, crank some tunes and enjoy...instead of obsessing over capacitors?  Devils advocate here of course, but kinda my point!