Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Bryston BDA-3  Look it up

Really? Ha. Not for this thread.
I'd love their legendary home theater prepro (SP3) for my home theater though!
Sold my server that Steve Nugent built. Ran on a Hynes SR5 highly modified by Steve.  Great unit.  The buyer, a great guy, drove up to pick it up.  He listened to my system for an hour or so.  He was shocked at how good it sounded.  He was particularly impressed by the Laufer Teknik Memory Player with internal DAC that I keep posting about here and on a few other boards.  It's not even set up properly yet and the DAC is prototype as I've said, but it's really special already. 

I'm really intrigued by where digital is right now and where it's headed.  What I find interesting is that the best way to keep up right now seems to be with the one to three person companies who are constantly upgrading the software.  They also upgrade the hardware constantly adn offer customers the upgrades as minimal costs so that you can keep up with state of the art easier than with the major companies. 

I'm sure may of you will disagree and that's fine as it will have to be an agree to disagree.  There are just so many good options we all have now.
@mattnshilp 

Been a while since we've heard from you. Hope all is well and you'll be able to update us on your journey. Be well....
Matt has been swamped this past year.  Not sure how much he's been able to do in audio.

I'm waiting on my Laufertechnique DAC to be cased and completed. Hopefully soon.  When it was inside their server it blew me away. I never expected it to sound that good. I have a feeling their new two box solution will be world class and have to be in this discussion of 'best' and not just 'best for price range'.
Hi all. Sorry for the forever no post.

Work has been insane and the family. Everything has been pretty stable system wise, and I haven’t had much of a chance to hear anything new other then Merrill Audio’s new 116 and 118 monoblock amplifiers; which are just sensational!

I am, weather permitting, planning on comparing the Naim Uniti Atom all in one to the Linn Majik DSM tomorrow. $3k retail and supposed to be VERY good for the money. Looking forward to that. I’ll report back after.

I also have a pair of LauferTeknic Porzilli Line Array Speakers heading my way. They are essentially the newest version of the now revered Pipedreams and Scaena speakers. Very cool design using all 1” drivers, like 40’ish per side. 2”x2”x72” aluminum towers. Yes, only 2”x2” enclosure dimensions!!!

The big news is that I am being courted by several on line Audiophile web review e’zines (no names announced yet) and may become a professional reviewer if it works out. My YouTube channel is up to a whopping 98 subscribers, which makes me sad because I think there is some truly sensational info there for audiophiles of every experience level.

I’ll absolutely report on the Naim vs Linn all in ones after I hear them.

Good to be back here.