Isn't a wondeful time to be an audiophile?

With all the new lower or intro priced vs. performance gear coming out recently. And with choices of sources, CD/ Streaming. I'm just thinking of how it must be for the newly converted. I started out back in the mid seventies. Let's see,if I remember correctly - Phono, Linn. Ortophon Dynevector Audio Technica?  Reel to Reel, Cassette. Dolby filters. Ohm's F, Snell, JBL speakers. Just to name a few. But I am impressed with the performance vs. price ratio of some of the new gear I've heard. For which ever reason, technical, marketing, production. There are certainly I believe not only more products to choose from but the choices are more affordable as well.
128x128joes44
It is a great time to be alive if you're a music lover. There is soooo much music out there available to us. New & used. 

I concur. Have been into music and equipment since the early/mid 70’s, (well, buying it for myself), and it seems the quality of equipment vs the relative cost can be much easier achieved today. 

I’m a big fan of buying used and do not need, or can financially justify, the latest and greatest to be satisfied. And if I am not satisfied, flipping or selling or purchasing used quality equipment is so much easier today. I recently bought a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sigs for $575. A steal, and personally the type of sound I enjoy. I easily flipped my used Adcom 545 for a used $220 B&K ST120.2 amp to gain a bit more power for the 2CE’s vs my previously purchased used Vandersteen 1CE’s (which I still have and bought for $435). I really like the B&K a lot vs the Adcom; for a little over $200, a very good deal and a ‘sweet’ amp. Bought a used Yamaha 1040 blue ray/CD player for a very reasonable amount which basically acts as my transport, as I run my CD’s (and also files and Tidal) through an almost mint older used PS Audio DigiLink III DAC; a very good purchase, and do not mind its age vs the overall quality of the unit. Much better than the internal Yamaha DAC. Most of my interconnects are from Blue Jeans, and cannot complain as the quality to cost is very good as well. 

I’m sitting here listening to one of the 14 CD’s from The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Anthology #6 box set I bought ‘used’ for $60. It just came today, and turns out it is brand new and unopened. 14 brand new CD’s from one of the all time best orchestras for $60? Incredible deal. 

In total my main current set-up has cost me right around $2K, and am at times amazed by it’s overall sound quality vs my set-up in the 70/80’s. It wasn’t long ago I was looking to easily spend that much or more for new speakers alone, then came the opportunity for the 2CE’s and my search was over, for the time being. No, I haven’t hooked up my turntable in years, tempted, but haven’t. So I have boxes of vinyl which are still stored away. When you can pick-up used CD’s for a fraction of what they cost new in the 80/90’s, (let alone what good vinyl costs today), or the ability to check out a ton of undiscovered music via Tidal for $20 per month, along with the ability to get very good sound through the PS Audio DAC, I think I’m more than pleased overall with the music and the easily available and affordable quality equipment today than ever before.

It is a very enjoyable time to be an audiophile. There is really something for everyone and every budget. I started listening to music back in the late 60’s on a Panasonic AM radio with a single earphone listening to the AM top 40 hits as I was going to sleep. In the 70’s, I got, likely for a birthday present my first real audio setup from Tech Hifi. I had a Philips GA212 with those cool elevator light switches with a cheap AT cartridge. I had a Sansui 661 Receiver and a pair of EPI 120 speakers that sat on the shag carpet floor!  I worked a winter break steam cleaning cookie sheets to go back to Tech Hifi and buy a Technics cassette deck. We have seen vinyl and cassette replaced by CD and digital. CD is dying because digital cannabilized CDs making their product no different than the one you can stream. This made vinyl special again. I have a CD Transport now only to play the CDs I already have. But otherwise my music money goes either in streaming subscriptions or new/old vinyl. We now have systems that are audiophile quality and portable for streaming and the listening room equipment technology has advanced so much. I could go on and on, but, it is a great time to be an audiophile. Instead of the Sansui, I now have Bryston components. Instead of the EPIs, now I have Magnepans. No cassette deck. Now an NAD streamer ripper. No Philips. Now a VPI with Ortofon 2M Black and ADS. I am in love with my system and the music loving hobby is stronger than ever. 
It's a terrible time to be an audiophile, only the most dedicated and stoic of us will remain true to the cause.
Everything is recorded in digital, really good equipment is very expensive new and used, no good new music, a lot of self-absorbed snobs buying up whatever looks good to them, equipment reviews are more useless than ever.
Most audiophiles start feeling their age and few are coming to take it over, though there are some, so there is hope.