DAC measurements explained?

Hi,

Would some kind person explain what “DAC measurements” mean?

How are they measured? What are they measuring?

Why are they interesting/important to look at?

How do they relate to the sound and what do they tell you about it?

Thanks!
leemaze
I just want to mention.. digital streams are NOT simple ones and zeros! The information stored on a CD is very complex. it is in groups of ones and zeros, packets, cut up and resorted! not individual.. The way the code is Laid down on the CD, and pulled off and arranged is way beyond complex. Error correcting too. One reason all CD readers, and CD decoding ,DAC can be very different.
@elizabeth

All modern CD systems have error detection/correction, no real difference between a modern one you buy from Walmart and a $20,000 one in this regard. DACs deal with jitter, they aren’t making up for data error like CD players can.
The data on the CD is physical not 1s and 0s, the laser reading process is analog and the error correction codes doesn’t correct all errors. But, hey, what do you want for nothing?
Correct, but the reading is the change from pit to surface. each change is noted, the pits can be various lengths, yes it is analog, also the timing is critical.. since each pit and land DISTANCE matters time wise.. Every reader can be different in the quality of the stream it recovers..If you think there is no difference between a really cheap one and an uber high quality one.. I guess you only know the low fi Universe.
You’ve learned my lessons well, grasshopper. See, it’s not really complex, after all. 🤗