New KEF Reference 5 speakers

After many months of auditioning speakers (and probably testing the patience of several salesmen) I finally decided to get the KEF Reference 5s.  I just loved the wide sound stage and almost holographic imaging, among other things.  They were delivered in February and I’ve spent many hours listening.  At first I was disappointed.  They just didn’t produce the same imaging at my house with my equipment as in the store.  Also, they sounded bright and harsh with violins and high end music.  The dealer came to my house along with the regional sales rep from KEF to provide advice.  They urged me to allow more break in time (at that point they had been played about 100 hours). After many more hours, I am becoming more acquainted with them.  They are still improving with time.  Them break in period seems to be very lon. They’ve played several hundred hours and are still improving. They are extremely source sensitive—meaning that a poorly engineered record or CD will sound terrible and a well recorded one can be great.  I suppose this is a good thing with the KEFS-that they reveal flaws so well says something about their accuracy. Unfortunately there seem to be more bad recordings than good ones so I’m finding many of my CDs and records very difficult to listen to.  I am still experimenting with speaker placement, learning which recordings are really good and which aren’t and other tweaks.  Not totally convinced it’s love but we are at least in like and the relationship is moving in a positive direction. I’ve delayed posting anything until now because I didn’t want to share any premature conclusions.  
fast
Thanks for asking.  

The bottom line: I’m very happy to say that I am really liking the KEF Reference 5 speakers now.  The soundstage/imaging, dynamics—they are what I was hoping for but didn’t hear at first.  I think it took a long time for the KEFs to break in.  I also got some new equipment, as described below.  Finally, I had a visit from Dave,  the Audio Doctor who helped position the speakers and provided advice on equipment and other setup issues (please, let’s not detour into a discussion of the Audio Doctor and just leave it with my statement that he’s been extremely helpful to me).  

As for the changes to my system since my last post—new Wireworld cables (interconnects, usb, ethernet), an Innuous Zenith iii server to replace my Naim Unitiserve, Rega Planar 6 with Dynavector cartridge.  I’m considering a DAC to replace my Aurilac Vega 1. Dave demonstrated an Aqua DAC.  Also, I was able to borrow a PS Audio Directstream DAC with bridge (which sounds very good but keeps producing a clicking or pop noise over my speakers at random intervals, especially when using the bridge input—which may eliminate this DAC as a possibility).  Haven’t decided on another DAC but I’m in no rush.  Incidentally, the Innuous  is a great addition for the sound and the operational features.  Dave, helped me set it up with thousands of Albums and it feels like I must have almost every piece of music there is (I realize that’s not possible).  

My other equipment: Audio Research VT 130SE amp, LS 22 preamp, PH3 phono stage.  I’ve retubed these and had them checked over.  

The Reference 5s can be hard to find for audition.  I bought them, without hearing them and after much debate, after hearing and really liking the Reference 3s. Glad I stuck with the KEFs!
Good to hear, and congrats!  I’ve owned some iteration of the KEF Reference speaker since 1986, 107s.  I have a pair of 205.s and a pair of 203.2s.  I would like to hear the new Reference series, but the closest dealer is a couple hours away and doesn’t stock them.  Really like my 205’s and power them with McIntosh 452.  You may be convincing me to take a ride!!

As I mentioned, I ran into the same problem finding Reference 5s to audition.  I even called KEF’s US headquarters but the closest dealer they suggested was several hundred miles away.  I had no problem hearing the Reference 3 at local dealers and really liked them.  After much thought and talking  to several dealers, I decided that the Reference 5 would undoubtedly have the characteristics I liked in the 3 but with added bass. It was a little gamble sine I’d never heard them.   When the 5s arrived, I had some doubts which led to my post last May.  As raised in another thread, I don’t understand why companies like KEF require dealers to buy their products to show in their  store rather than lending them.  Hard to sell what you can’t show or demonstrate. 
This is a proof that good speakers really need
Very long break-in .my first Proac speakers open up after almost a year and my current Proac speakers (D30RS) opened up only after more than 6 month.
Glad you liked your Kef speakers eventually.
Congratulations fast on dialing in your Ref 5s.  I may have missed it, but did you ever mention what preamp/amp the dealer was using when you decided you wanted to purchase the speakers?  I would be curious.