The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Post removed 
It is inexpensive enough to have HAVE, Inc. assemble a set of SM IC assemblies having a set of parallel IC’s tied together with single sets of connectors in a single sheath.

Yet, a set of 4 Y-splitters can be had for even less $$. Thus, testing the efficacy of the SM has a fairly low cost barrier of entry, provided one has the 2 sets of IC’s and set of 4 external splitters on hand.
@douglas_schroeder 
Thanks for pointing out the projection that has been going on since, forever. 

@douglas_schroeder
Jim
I won’t hold your being an analogue lover against you. ;) Thanks!

So, you trust what the sellers say about the cartridges, but don’t trust me with a free method? Seriously, how is the improvement of a platter , tone arm, mat, phono cable or phono pre, or isolated motor measured aside from subjectively? How is that not parallel to cables?

No, I do not trust their claims, or see justification for some of the ridiculously high prices attached to HEA analogue - whether it be cartridges, tone arms or TTs.

For many years I worked for a large international corp. that manufactured, sold and serviced all manor of industrial and commercial electronics and apparatus. One of my jobs was to do field analysis and service on industrial rotating machinery - everything from high speed turbines to giant scrubber fans. I dealt first hand with the woes of harmonic resonance and vibration. I, one time saw the aftermath of a 12’, 15,000 lb scrubber fan that blew apart at 500 RPM, from a critical resonance. The company operating it thought it was OK, because everything had been previously balanced, to change out drive motors to boost its speed, without doing an analysis for potential other problems. It turned out that the upped 500 RPM excited the fan’s resonate frequency and it was curtains from there.
In home audio, controlling resonance and vibration is very important, but, if you know what you’re doing, it is relatively straight forward and doesn’t have to cost a fortune. When I see the outlandish designs and $$$ attached to some of the HEA turntables and after market resonate control devices - gotta shake my head and again I think "Only in the world of HEA".......Jim