Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Catching up here. Nice clips all. Thanks!

pjw, thanks a lot for the invitation. Due to my work schedule the only date I can make is Mon, 4/8. Let me know if that works for you guys; would be great to meet you both. Thanks again.

That “Autumn Leaves” by Rubalcaba is pretty amazing, nsp. Mind blowing technician! That was recorded almost twenty years ago and I think he has tamed that incredible exuberance a bit. Always a lot of depth however. Amazing player. I wonder what Chick Corea was thinking while in the audience listening to Rubalcaba. Not common knowledge, but Gonzalo is also a terrific drummer and percussionist. He is the son of pianist Guillermo Rubalcaba a legendary figure in Cuban music.

Schubert, Piaf/Rubalcaba; interesting pairing to say the least. This might offer some clues as to what that might have been like. The old man himself accompanying singer Luis Frank; another Cuban music legend. Beautifully suave playing by the senior Rubalcaba:

https://youtu.be/Z4MeEz-Q-Mc
I just had a deep feeling these two are in some manner kindred souls
I don’t drink but every Feb.23 I have a champagne in honor of the iconic voice of France. Last Sat.was the 50th anniversary of her death , there was no one like her and none that ever will be .
Gonzalo Rubalcaba could comp for Pavorotti , he’d have no trouble lifting the "Little Sparrow" to God .

Johnny Hartmann & John Coltrane.....Tony Bennett and Bill Evans.....almost any Ellington
frogman, pops plays just plain beautiful . see where Sonny got his elegance !
Think I’ll make a fool of myself again , in last 50 years I’ve heard a lot of pianists .
The only one I would place above Gonzalo Rubalcaba is another Latin, Claudio Arrau .They both bring a heavy dose of spirituality to their playing and in a similar manner .
And , for whatever reason , Arrau played better in person than on recordings and his recordings are often iconic .
P.S all " Autumn Leaves" was originally a French song  that Mercer worked over . "Les Feuilles  Mortes " . ( The Dead Leaves ) .

Post removed