The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Post removed 
Well, and here I thought this thread was just beginning to quiet down with a digression into analog setups.
@douglas_schroeder 
"cd318, you are still skeptical. Are you willing to test your skepticism?  A person who is unwilling to test their skepticism is trapped in their current experience even though observational evidence exists that much better can be obtained. You do not know if you are right or wrong. You think you are right, which is of marginal significance in the face of people who are trying and finding it efficacious. Are you willing to try Schroeder Method and find out?"

Hi Doug, in lieu of any convincing logic (resistance, capacitance and inductance should be well within required limits for audio signals by any decent piece of wire, even a coat hanger) I am not currently willing to try out the so-called Schroeder Method. Or other equally whacky theories such as the Paleo diet, or investigate flat earth theories, the antics of Uri Geller, etc. Sorry, but we've seen all this before courtesy of Peter W Belt amongst others.

Having previously tried out bi-wiring, solid core cable, twin and earth electrical, silver plated copper, pure copper, bell wire, etc without hearing much of a difference I hope you can understand my reticence to embark upon another wild goose chase.

Brands diverse as Ecosse, Monster, Chord, Linn, Naim, QED have all been tried in various systems over the years and found to be alike.

Like jhills, my experience has demonstrated that high purity OFC is more than sufficient for my needs. I don't even bother with using plugs, bare wire gives good contact (with only periodic cleaning for oxidisation required). 

If you are serious about your method how about suggesting it to hardened industry professionals working in the world of audio recording? It isn't enough to say your method is better, you must be able to offer a rationale as to why you believe it to be so.

taras22,

I will take "eye-catching" as description of sound as licentia poetica.

The only way those findings may be considered non-hyperbolic by more than a few.