The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Prof, thank you for your response. I used a thorough, but simple comparison, so your first conclusion was correct when you said:

"IF you mean to level charges of hypocrisy and inconsistency in the audiophile world, you will certainly find large targets. Especially in the subjective-oriented audiophile world. 

So if you want to say: "I evaluate whether cables make a difference by putting them in my system and seeing if I hear a difference. How can YOU be critical of me if that’s how YOU evaluate the rest of your analog system!"

And if this is your charge....I completely agree with you; there would be a lot of hypocrisy. 

And I would say both sides (you and the people you are calling hypocritical) are using a suspect methodology for gaining reliable knowledge."

I think there are a lot of hypocritical analogue users out there, who condemn aftermarket cables while employ�ing similar principles and methods to affirm their analogue. I am not interested at all here, as I believe I said previously, in the digital/analogue debate. 

It seems to me that there does not exist an environment where the home audiophile can overcome the inability to operate from a purely scientific, objective basis. I would peg all audiophiles as being suspect of some form of bias, subjectivity, etc. myself included. I have a bias against cable skeptics.  ;) 

Wait! I was a cable skeptic at one time! LOL   :) 

@cleeds
Will you please tell us exactly which $1,000-per-foot audio cable you are referring to here? Will you please tells us which specific claims are troubling you?

Wow really cleeds? I’m not going to start dropping names here. Do a google search for high end audio cables. You might be shocked to find that $1K per ft. is on the bottom side of some.
... the wild claims of some of these high priced cable guys - some of which already facing, or have faced, suits and fines for false claims and improper business practices.
Will you please be specific about these "suits and fines for false
claims?" Can you cite more than one instance?

Again, do a little digging. Is pretty easy to find, either on google searches or several previous threads, brought up here on AG.......Jim
@jsautter

My statement was plain and simple..... Aside from HEA, there is not one single industry that uses $1K per ft signal transfer cable - period.

So, you show me one that does!
glupson, thank you for your reasonable discussion. I have tried most of the attempts that you have, and imo the Schroeder Method is more profound in effect than any of them. 

You have chosen a zero sum position, and I can respect that, as you seem to realize that an absolutist position will cut you out of any potential benefit. Others see the low cost/effort to trial as worth a try. 

jhills
I’m not going to start dropping names here. Do a google search for high end audio cables. You might be shocked to find that $1K per ft. is on the bottom side of some.
I’m not interested in any random cable, but the specific cable(s) you refer to here that lead you to question the claims made for them:
... coated with Graphene; or filled with incredible, semi-conductor liquid; or made in USA ultra high grade, specially treated, conductors - with multi layers of high-tech shielding (actually come from China bulk conductor wire - the equivalent of 24AWG at about $.25 pr. ft ...
If you’re not willing to name the subject of your complaint, then there’s no way we can have a discussion about that. Perhaps that was your intent.

You also stated:
... the wild claims of some of these high priced cable guys - some of which already facing, or have faced, suits and fines for false claims and improper business practices ...
But again, you won’t be specific:
Again, do a little digging. Is pretty easy to find ...
Specifics, please. I’m aware of one case that involved a retailer, iirc, in the UK. I’m not aware of any other such instance and, I suspect, neither are you.

I’m with this guy:thecarpathian
jhills, you’re doing exactly what you’re accusing the cable companies of doing. Making an awful lot of claims without backing them up...