Just bought a Marantz PM6006, and it it disappointing

My vintage NAD7020 has been acting up, so I decided to get a Marantz PM6006 on sale.  Figured if I decide to upgrade later it could become part of the AV system.   I had no problems hooking up my Linn Axis turntable and ELAC Debut 6.2s.  But when I started playing music, I noticed the music was muddy and high pitched.  I tested on some jazz (Don Shirley “Tonal Expressions”), classical (Villa-Lobos “Bachianas Brasileiras, Nos. 4, 7”), Rock (The Grateful Dead “The Grateful Dead”) and P-Funk (Funkadelic “One Nation Under A Groove”).  The only song that sounded as good as I wanted was Laurie Anderson’s “O, Superman”, with its heavy synthesizer work.  Throughout each selection I noticed pronounced sibilance, and violin and harmonica were actually painful to listen to. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed.

Granted, I am used to vintage (used) electronics, and I very much prefer the warm sound of the NAD.  So, is my ear just attuned to warmer sounds?  Or does the Marantz PM6006 need a burn-In period?  
128x12816f4
It might be the phono-stage is not playing nice with your turntable but I don’t think that would cause a muddy or high-pitched sound. It sounds like it might be defective for that dramatic of a difference. That NAD seems to have quite a following, so it might be worth it to repair or find a used replacement.
I agree to letting it stay on and playing music for a few days. If it does not start sounding good to you, return it.
I have only been able to listen to the Marantz once since the first day (family visiting...) but it did sound a little less harsh. As soon as they leave I will go full test mode. I have 30 days to return it. Might just work on my old one, because even though it’s old I know I love it...at least, that’s what my wife says.
Don't let the naysayers distract you, burn in is a very real thing. I would put the tuner or CD player on repeat 24/7 for at least a week and then listen. You just might be shocked how much it will change.