The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
WOW! jsauter - Get with it! Read the post - I said that $.26 per ft. is what some cable manufactures pay for their bulk 24AWG bulk ins. copper lead wire from China.
Not NASA, or anyone else, except HEA, uses $1K per ft. signal or data transfer cable.
On average, though, considering that most everything has gone, or, is going wireless, it would be somewhere closer to $2.00 -  $3.00 per ft. (NOT $1,000.00 per foot).
Do your own research and get back to me>>>Jim
@calander
Was NASA mentioned in a now deleted post?

I don't think so. Maybe cleeds said something - Who knows.
.....Jim
Breaking Gnus! 🐂 🐂 🐂

Masterbuilt Cables originated in the U.S. aerospace program. Engineers developed wiring systems with low-reactance cable for use in the Apollo lunar missions and other mission-critical NASA projects, such as the International Space Station. Say, aren’t they the same cables Von Schweikert uses for his ULTRA internal speaker wire upgrade? 😳

https://www.vonschweikert.com/ultra-internal-wire-upgrade

douglas,

That's terrific!  Nice to see.

I'll take a look at the articles further when I have time.

Where you able to discern differences between AC cables using blind testing/ABX?   If so, that would be the first example I've ever seen before.