tube pre amp or tube amp

I go through a phase every few years where I choose to "upgrade" my system or make a change just for the sake of doing so. My current system sounds beautiful but today I am curious
I am running an AudioResearch CD9 source through an AudioResearch REF5SE pre amp followed by VAC phi300i AMP
I was considering inserting a high end solid state piece into the system such as a PASS XA60.8 mono blocks instead of VAC. 
I was considering changing out the Audio Research pre amp to a LAMM pre amp (hybrid)
If I would like to interject a solid state component  into my system, would it be more advantageous for that piece to be the AMP or the PRE AMP?
wahoo101488

good call Ralph.

you are right it is NOT a universal axiom that sS will always yield better bottom end resolution. although it do seem to work more often than not in a number of varied applications.

countless threads here seem to be seeking the same additive aspect, better low end reproduction. and the common solution almost regardless the speaker type is to insert an SS amp as a replacement or as an addition to be dedicated to the bass drivers., for that express purpose.

it’s been talked about so much for so long, it just seems the ‘go to’ option/problem folks tend to look towards without as well replacing or exchanging speakers too..

there was no mention of the OP desiring new speakers so assumptions were made out of hand.
So I have appreciated hearing different points of view and feedback from everyone. I am inclined to keep or upgrade my ARC tube pre amp, which sounds great, and consider a solid state alternative to my VAC (maybe)
My cables are all Shunyata Research...which I believe convey the audio quite well. MY speakers are NOLA METRO GRAND Reference GOLD speakers and they really do sound spectacular -they are relatively efficient speakers, and while the woofers are only 6.5 inches!!, a 32 bit  recording Jazz percussion or whatever, will knock your socks off!!. So its tough to know if I have everything peaking or if solid state // Lamm hybrid could bring out something extra. 
Bass is the one thing that makes me hesitant about tube amps. I do use subwoofers, so I guess I really should not have a concern because I can always adjust it to make up for what I feel is missing on the low end.
I haven’t noticed any bass issues at all using an ARC Ref 75se with Wilson speakers except that it sounds full and tight. Watt for watt the tube amp suffered little in comparison to some very good ss amps. If the last component in the chain is ss then that’s what you’ll primarily receive. IMO
Old wives’ tale. Tube bass is generally full, fat and juicy. Juicy like Lucy. Of course like everything else bass performance can vary from brand to brand obviously.