RCA Shorting Plugs

I am coming to the conclusion that success in home audio reproduction is largely about lowering the noise floor. There are so many different types of “noise”, from so many different sources, that we only really “hear” by their absence.

I have had caps on the unused RCA inputs of my ASL passive autoformer preamp, ever since a friend suggested them way back. I recently got some actual shorting plugs (with resistors), from Hifi Collective in the UK, to replace them. I was surprised by how much difference they made. Transparency, resolution and musical flow all increased, along with the “realness” of instruments and voices. There is also more sense of the space around them.

I know some preamps short the unselected inputs, but, if yours doesn't, these shorting plugs are inexpensive, and definitely worth trying.
tommylion
This is pure BS, because if they’re not used they are not connected to any active amplification circuitry!!
True that an unused input is not connected to active amplification circuitry. However, it is somewhat irrelevant within the context and spirit of this thread, and as a reply to my statement that you were quoting: "shorting unused inputs **can only be advantageous, even if only theoretical** (electrical theory)."

The unused inputs could be close enough to active amplification circuitry, causing the unused input to contribute to the overall "noise floor" of the system. Granted, in a perfect world the amplifiers active input would be adequately shielded to prevent what I’ve described, but as you know, we certainly are not living in a perfect world.

This is why I indicated "shorting unused inputs CAN only be advantageous, even if only theoretical". I did NOT indicate it *necessarily is or always would be* advantageous.

Non shorting plugs prevent rf from getting inside the component.
I think what you mean to indicate here is that non shorting plugs *could* mitigate the effect of rf from getting inside the component; not prevent it. RF has a habit permeating audio related gear regardless of whatever is done to prevent it.
You say potatoes, I say potahtoes. Apparently you haven’t been following the Carbon Fiber thread very closely. 🤠
Resurrecting this thread to ask one more question. Is it OK to us Non-Shorting caps on Rec Out and Pre Out to keep dust out?
@ericsch absolutely yes, and in highly resolving systems it may sound better as well ... I swear by these (plus BNC versions on the plethora of those inputs on my CD player)
Yes. non shorting plugs are fine even on output RCA. They have no central plug (or a plastic one) which will not damage the electronics. So yes OK to use non shorting plugs on Tape out etc.