Tubes vs SS preamp question....

Hi All,

I have a BAT SS power amp and a BAT P5 tube phono stage (Linn LP12/Graham/Clearaudio Concerto) and Martin Logan speakers (hoping to replace/upgrade soon). My question is regarding a preamp upgrade from a Krell Showcase PrePro.
Would you recommend a tube preamp to go alongside a tube phono amp?? Or is one tube component enough in a system?? I know there will be massive differences between all the different options, looking more for a general input as to whether multiple tube components work together or is just one component enough to get that tube sound and I might be better off focusing on SS for the preamp.
I really appreciate any feedback.
Thank you.

Ag insider logo xs@2xdenjer1
denjer1,

I agree with both big_greg and atmosphere.  You like tubes so why not try all tubes first?  What matters is your opinion.

If you're going to buy new, I'd suggest visiting local dealers and requesting an in-home loaner you can audition in your system.  The Bat VK-53SE tube pre might be a good match with your Bat amp.
      If you're buying used, I'd suggest buying a good quality unit that you can resell easily just in case.

Enjoy,
 Tim

as was said, don’t worry about ‘too much of  a good thing”. 

Tube amps can be quite versatile in their voice, depending on which tubes are in use, or which tubes are available as ‘drop in’ replacements.

a BAT tube pre plus a BAT SS amp has been a great combo for a long time in BAT land.

one thing of note is running BAT pre and amp balanced is a very good idea. no question about it. extremely quiet back drop which aids gaining a more vivid presentation and imagery.

another built in item is the BAT ‘house’ sound. you do get the synergy which comes with keeping the same brand in the signal path.

adding another non BAT line stage but which runs truly balanced will act similarly of course. 

that said, adding  a  line stage which is far higher on the food chain which runs SE only  will still yield great results. or such is my own EXP.

remember, with many though not all line stage tube amps, you can either dial up the ‘tubeyness’ or dial it down via a bit of tube rolling.

with SS line stage amps you’re stuck with whatever ;’voice’ it offers, which BTW is not  a bad thing either.

good luck with your decision.