RCA Shorting Plugs

I am coming to the conclusion that success in home audio reproduction is largely about lowering the noise floor. There are so many different types of “noise”, from so many different sources, that we only really “hear” by their absence.

I have had caps on the unused RCA inputs of my ASL passive autoformer preamp, ever since a friend suggested them way back. I recently got some actual shorting plugs (with resistors), from Hifi Collective in the UK, to replace them. I was surprised by how much difference they made. Transparency, resolution and musical flow all increased, along with the “realness” of instruments and voices. There is also more sense of the space around them.

I know some preamps short the unselected inputs, but, if yours doesn't, these shorting plugs are inexpensive, and definitely worth trying.
tommylion
@ericsch absolutely yes, and in highly resolving systems it may sound better as well ... I swear by these (plus BNC versions on the plethora of those inputs on my CD player)
Yes. non shorting plugs are fine even on output RCA. They have no central plug (or a plastic one) which will not damage the electronics. So yes OK to use non shorting plugs on Tape out etc.