Vintage Dual 1228 Turntable : worth to upgrade cartridge ?

I have from my college days (1977) Dual 1228 with original fitted Shure M95ED cartridge .  It is maintained well , not used for about 20 years in between , but just cleaned , lubricated , resoldered some loose connections , etc and just runs great for me. 
I am not too much into analogue , so not planning to do big time investment into new TT , Phono preamp , but if  can get larger benefit by replacing the Shure M 95 ED with some new cart upto $ 200-300 , I would like to do it . 
My Phono preamp is very low end Cambridge Audio MM 551P . To go with new upgraded cartridge , I may even consider to buy used Phono with budget of $1000 . 
I would appreciate advice form FMs here , where I should spend my money to get most benifit on sound improvement . New cart , new phono ? 

radni
Norman,

I stand by what I posted.....a 1228 (or 1229) is a good, not great table.  Easily bettered by a LINN.  The Dual was not designed to be better than a Thorens 124, or Garrard 301/401, or a Lenco.  It is what it is.  As stated I have extensive experience with Dual tables (and Thorens, and now LINN).

Your experience is different than mine, but your disagreement does not automatically render my experience any less valid than yours.

As for the link you posted, I take AS opinions with a very large helping of salt.

I would encourage the original poster to investigate other tables, and discover what sounds best to HIM.  My wager is that it will not be a DUAL....
Norman,I just a few weeks ago got a Dual 1219 at local auction with original box,all packing,foam,even alignment tool still in box.I just got it working properly.What an incredible find,like going back 50 years ago buying new in box.
I also did some listening on my P+E2040 last night with some startling simple tweeks.I ran my Fulton Kinetic barrier mat and experimented with brass weights on the deck,I put a cheap piece from audio advisor rubber vibration control under a brass balance weight in back by the arm.What an upgrade from so little money.Big increase in sound field height.Again a new found respect for my old P+E .
I bought my 1228 new in the stone age, early 1970s but it sat unused since moving to CDs in the late 80s. Set it up again with my son who's gotten into vinyl, spun 2 albums and it no longer turns. Any thoughts as to whether repairing is worth the cost and if so where in NYC or surroundings I might go. Thank you.
Your TT most likely only needs cleaning , and lubricating. It has set for many years, so some grease is dried up or the lube is lost. So all moving parts need through wiping, cleaning with alcohol and fresh lube or grease . Electrical and RCA contacts also needs cleaning, etc.
You can DIY if have any liking and time for it. In that case there are good videos on You Tubes.
For service : I find ( on google search ) two places in NY area :
1. DJ Fix, 343 Broadway , Brooklyn
2. Analogique Service Lab, 27 W 20th St. # 406.

I have no experience of these shops , but appear worth visiting to try. Better to call them before going if they will take up Dual 1228 for service .

I just had my Dual 1246 cleaned and serviced at Fix my Dual.com.

EXCELLENT service!  Had it back in 1 week and it works like new.