The Science of Vinyl/Analog Setups

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why vinyl/analog setups sound the way they do. When I see discussions on tables, cartridges, tonearms and even phono cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like isolation, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things discussed like wow, rumble, resonance, compliance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t vinyl/analog setups discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivists” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in vinyl/analog setups. 

I know vinyl/analog setups are often system-dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcelander
For you measurement types, based on the following specs, how are each of these cartridges going to sound? Since I have had both, I know if the specs actually tell the difference in sound quality. 

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 60kHz
Channel Separation at 1KHz: 40dB
Input Load: 47K
Output: 5.0mV
Recommended Tracking Force: 1.5Gms
Stylus Type: Elliptical
Inductance: 45mH
Resistance: 475Ω
Compliance CUs: 20
Stylus Replacement: Factory
Mounting: Standard
Weight: 6.5g

Stylus: Selected Contact Line low mass Nude Stylus 
Radius of curvature: 6 x 17 µm
Cantilever: Boron
Recommended Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2 gm
Effective tip mass: 0.32 mg
Compliance: 10 µm/mN
Body material: Corian and Brass
Frequency Response: 15-45,000 Hz (±2.5 dB)
Channel Separation:
  1000 Hz: >28 dB
  50-15,000 >25 dB
Channel Difference: <1.0 dB
Output Voltage: 2.4 mV
Weight: 10.27 Gms
Load: => 47 kohms

i look at a couple of specs to determine if a cart will match up with my arm and my phono preamp. After that, I’ll let my ears determine which piece sounds better.

The process of setting up a turntable for optimum performance is a laborious process that can only be achieved with the proper equipment designed for the task.  Test records, cartridge analyzation components, microscope, and oscilloscope are all required. The forces at the contact point between stylus and vinyl are significant and measured in thousands of pounds per square inch. First it must be determined that the diamond is properly mounted on the cantilever arm and rejected if more than a few degrees off axis.  Assuming the arm is properly set up, and the cartridge properly mounted, it must then be determined if the attack angle at the surface of the vinyl is optimum.  Using the test records, along with the anti-skating and tracking adjustments, the oscilloscope allows the technician to adjust the system for best results. These steps, along with attempting to decouple vibration from the drive system and forces external to the table, will result in the best possible performance with this analog approach. In light of today's technology, with a nod to the fun had by the analog hobbyist, the most realistic way to achieve a momentary suspension of disbelief when enjoying music is to avoid the above entirely and transition into the world of digital sound recreation.              
Digital is like looking at the world through the tines of a comb, or in strobascopic light.

Vinyl and Analogue are like looking at the world as it is, in continuous non stop light.

One can reduce the size of each tine to bring in more light, one can increase the flash rate of the strobe, but what you see will never quite be what is available to see.

Digital is a parabolic curve that approaches but never quite touches the horizontal line of analogue.

That said, there are trade offs for analogue and digital that should be examined by the curious.

rbstehno
For you measurement types, based on the following specs, how are each of these cartridges going to sound? Since I have had both, I know if the specs actually tell the difference in sound quality ...
Specifications may give a hint of what a component may sound like, but it's just a hint, and then mostly when something in the specs is extreme. In the case of the two cartridges you list, their weight is substantially different. Provided that you install each in the same pickup arm with the same counterweight, you've introduced a new variable, because the arm will have a different moment of inertia depending on the location of the counterweight. So I'd say you can't conclude anything absolute about the difference between these cartridges from specifications alone.
Generally, digital provides more detail and wider frequency response. Digital also provides higher SNR and DR. So the comb tine theory falls apart. Digital is not like that at all. Actually analog is like that. Of course, I’m not referring to stock, off the shelf digital. That obviously sucks.