Will a subwoofer add depth and clarity to my system, or just bass?

hi folks,
I just purchased a set of Focal Aria 906 speakers with stand, powered by a Bluestream PowerNode (not my ideal system but I had a limited budget).  I think it sounds really good, but am wondering if an upgrade to a subwoofer is worth it, and if so, what would pair well with this system -- my audio guy recommended the JL Audio D110 10" Dominion Subwoofer, but that's out of my price range.  Perhaps a SVSPB1000, for $499?  My room isn't very big, and I don't use the system for movies, just listening to mostly jazz and rock (and classical).
Thank you!
jazz99
Subwoofers will not add clarity to a system. They will add impact in the form of notes you can feel as well as sound stage volume.

This is kind of true but kind of isn't. I mean, clearly, there is a low pass filter involved. However, the effects are a lot more than what you would expect from this description.

From a perception point of view, they make everything feel more open and larger.

I say this as a man who builds his own speakers, and does his own room correction. I know the measurements and the effects. Well integrated, a sub adds a lot more than just what I quoted above.

Best,

E

a well integrated, high quality sub, can do wonderful things for mids and highs...I have REL T7i in small system, S/5 SHO in main system

The ear simply does not have the time-domain resolution to hear a slight timing mis-match in the subwoofer region. The ear is UNABLE to even detect the presence of bass energy from less than one full wavelength, compared to which small timing errors are insignificant. What the ear IS very good at, is detecting SPL differences in the bass region. This is implied by the bunching up of equal-loudness curves south of 100 Hz. So the ear can indeed hear something going on as you fine-tune the phase control, but what it’s hearing is the effect on the frequency response.

If the main speakers are a bit muddy in the upper bass, you can have the subs overlap them a bit and then use the phase control to dial in some cancellation, thus improving the clarity.

I’ve had many customers claim to hear an improvement in clarity from the addition of subs without highpass filtering the mains, and I’ve heard it too, but cannot explain it, apart from the occasional situation described in the preceding paragraph. Of course there is also the improvement in clarity that can come from highpass-filtering the main speakers to reduce cone excursion, in which case the transparency of the highpass filter can be a factor.

Regarding adding a sense of depth or sense of envelopment/immersion, if you have two subs, you can place one at either side of the listening position and dial in 90 degrees of phase difference. This will tend to synthesize hall ambience. Credit to David Griesinger for this idea. The 90 degree phase difference ("phase quadrature") will also tend to improve the modal smoothing.

Sometimes adding a subwoofer to a tonally well-balanced system tips the spectral balance to the dark side.  When that happens, we can bring balance to the force.  We can add a rear-firing tweeter to just nudge the spectral balance back to normal, without messing up the imaging by adding another source of first-arrival sound. 

Duke

I think when you use a subwoofer one tends to not need to go crazy with the volume . This leads to less distortion on your main speakers . Sounds more pleasing in general . The only reason I ever crank music is when there is bass present in the recordings . without a sub in a system and running speakers with under 12' drivers you need to raise volume to pressurize the room . 
Duke "Regarding adding a sense of depth or sense of envelopment/immersion, if you have two subs, you can place one at either side of the listening position and dial in 90 degrees of phase difference. "

Probably a dumb question, but I have my two subs phase set to 0.  To achieve the above should I leave one at 0 and turn the second to 90?  Does it make a difference if I put one at 90 and the other at 180?  Is one better or even different than the other?
 Thanks