Best CDs

I'm new to Audiogon, and know the depth and breadth of the knowledge and experience of the people who post on the Forum, so I apologize for this amateur question.  I'm strictly digital.  I've just upgraded my system with an OPPO 205, Krell Theater 7WD, Krell Foundation 4K, and B & W 804s, 805s, and center speaker.  I've played some CDs (old collection), and they sound awful.  Is there a good brand or brands of CD and/or source that I can rely on for future purchases, or is it more complicated than that.
daj2832
Interesting post. Research sites like allmusic or discogs for original releases, it's what I do. Compare an original to the later remaster and decide for yourself. Also, I like MFSL, Audio Fidelity, and some Japanese pressings which I research before purchase.

Looking at your gear, I like what I see with the exception of the OPPO Blu-Ray player being used for CD's.
I generally not pursue rare or special CDs. Not that I wouldn’t but just haven’t needed to.

I start at the dr.loudness-war web site:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

This is a database of all types of media that gives dynamic range measurements by track, album average, low and high.

It is my opinion that if the dynamic range is compressed too much then it doesn’t much matter what’s on the CD or how well it was engineered otherwise. Some may disagree but I think you have to start with dynamic range.

Once you find the best CD on that site in terms of dynamic range then you can go to eBay (or where ever else) and search. You use catalog numbers, dates or bar code numbers to identify the specific CD. I do not recommend Amazon because the CD identifying info is rarely included.

I’ve had excellent success doing this. And CDs on eBay are cheap.

Also, almost all CDs produced lately have awful dynamic range.

Finally, beware of "remastered" CDs. I have found that they are usually worse than the originals and almost always more compressed.
If OPO is not the way to go, is there a CD/DAC combo that would be better for the system that I have?