Unbalaned to Balanced

What would it sound like if I run an unbalance cable on my preamp(only unbalanced connections) to the balanced input on my amp(amp has a choice on Balanced or Unbalanced connections)?Ron
vinylnut63
Hi Vinyl,
No difference. In fact, a lot of amps don't have truly balanced inputs. They ground the (-) pin. It's there for convenience.

Lots of pro amps did this, because in a studio balanced cables are the norm. 
Best,
E
@erik_squires

I have just bought a ATI AT524NC power amp. I have not received it yet.
RCA. And. XLR inputs.
where do I have to look to know if that amp is truly balanced ?
In the specification ?
thanks
Hey,

If they are based on the Hypex modules, they are true balanced inputs. :) But there's no benefit to using a balanced cable with a single ended source.

Best,
E
I was in the process of upgrading and testing equipment.

Allnic L5000 DHT to Allnic L10,000 OTL/OCL (no capacitor, no transformer)

The signal fed a Allnic A6000 300b monoblock with both balanced and unbalanced inputs.  However, the amps are single ended, unbalanced circuit design.  I had run balanced because of the 35' run to the amps.  When I switched to the new preamp, the balanced output of the L10,000 required the use of an internal quality transformer.  Notably, that transformer removed the magic the linestage preamp offered.  So I sold my cable off for unbalanced solution and it was the single best move ever.

In conclusion, I reach out to the manufacturer of each component regarding circuit design and if the upstream component is true balanced circuit design, then I used balanced cable and ideally components downstream that also have true balanced circuit design.  

In this case, I did the opposite.  Everything from DAC to amps were unbalanced.