Do posters intend to hurt the feelings of other members?

It is usually the case that members engage in spirited, often passionate, discussions in threads. That’s normal. Regrettably, often those discussions veer off the tracks, where members are offended or genuinely have their feelings hurt by the content of others’ post(s). 

Do posters intend to hurt the feelings of other members? Your thoughts?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcelander
The Internet can be a strange place. I like to assume the best of people and in most cases, I think writing for posting on a chat board tends to be clinical sounding even if that isn’t the intention. Most of the time, people are dashing off a response which can seem brusque.
Trolling has been commonplace since I first started using the (bulletin) boards, back in the mid-’90s. There were people with some pretty aggressive personas who, in person, were meek individuals.
I find myself spending far more time than I like on the Internet and I am only on line when I’m home in front of a laptop. (I don’t post from my phone or even surf from a handheld when I’m out and about). Even so, there is an aspect to being on the Internet that is addicting-- and I think we are all worse off for it, despite the value of being able to access vast amounts of information remotely.

It will take a 12 click program and a mentor (who you'll have to PM)  to kick the habit.