Best speakers in the 50-60k range ?

Some context: I’ve recently had to downsize my speakers. However since I got inot this hobby 2 years ago I’ve always been looking ahead, to see what my next big item purchase is. I’ve got a budget of about $60k for the speakers.

I have a superate budget for amp, dac, but regardless of the type of speaker I wind up with, I will get a electronic front end that makes sense for the speaker. I think it’s a bit backwards to be considering amp before I’ve selected the right speakers.

I  like pop, rock, metal, grunge like Rush, Metallica, Cranberries and Taylor Swift as much as I like better mastered music like Diana Krall.

Oh. And I like horns.

Here are the options I’ve been considering so far;

Purchasing another pair of JBL 4367. This option makes a lot of sense if I wanted to spend 100k on electronics instead. I was thinking Mcintosh (MC611) or Spectral (DMA360) amplification, or Pass Labs (XA200.8) as for preamps I could go with the Mcintosh C1100, the matching Spectral preamp, or the Pass Labs XP-30 or XS preamp. 

But I want to try Wilsons, or Avantgardes... see below.

Sasha DAW or Alexia Series 2. The former allows me to budget for a matching high power amp, the latter would require purchasing a lower end power amp until I’ve saved enough for a better one. Another option would be to wait until early 2020 before purchasing anything. The dealer I wanted to do business with carries both Mcintosh and Wilson... an audition for the aforementioned speakers is of course mandatory, and upcoming this summer. I’ve no doubt in my mind I’ll be impressed with what I hear but if im not I always have the JBL or other options.

Avantgarde Acoustics Duo XD or possibly Duo Mezzo. Yes I love horns. I am almost certain I would greatly enjoy these. I just love love horns. Another advantage is that these are self powered bass section speakers so I could use a low powered 2a3 tube amp with them. (I love 2a3 amps) which is significantly less expensive cost wise compared to the solid state beasts I’d need for the Wilsons...

Anyway that’s what I’ve got so far. I’ve asked around on another forum called audiosciencereview and the advice the few people I spoke with so far was that I’m better off getting another pair of JBL. It does seem logical. And I’d have a huge budget to play with for all manner of electronics... but the audiophile in me wants to get Wilson, or AG... 

Ill also be auditioning the Magico S5MKII but based on my research so far I don’t think I would like the sound of those speakers.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls
@johnfilm- seriously, you have made such a brazen blanket statement that I hope you can substantiate what you say.  There are more than a couple of audiophiles that love quirky horn speakers. I guess horn lovers do think outside the box. I take no offense to your comments. I mean if we all liked shitty box speakers, where would the fun be? lol 
New Carver Line Arrays - $13K! Add one of his new tube amps and you'd have a killer system!

just thinking out loud here.... I guess its true about speakers ... that among all the audio gear they have the most impact and attraction in that relationship something unique happens.

my EXP says anything I deem as 'destination' level gear, is not really the end of the road. I just think it is.

I do hear the note for living outside the mainstream confines with audio gear.

there are points to consider with speakers in general.

speaker design and technology is not standing still. new materials and new ways of introducing these materials spring up readily.

generally speaking does anyone feel speakers from a dozen years ago are as good or better than the newer versions of the same model today?

how about five years? three?

another concern IMO is support. plain and simnple.

whenever I pitch money at something I need the assurance if something bad occurs, there will be someone around to repair it.

some very gifted designers make some very good to outstanding over achieving gear. sometimes these makers simply walk away and or die. thereafter owners are left high and dry.

don't tell me this is not a consideration when buying high end audio kit. when the price tag goes up so does anxiety... well, that is of course for many people it does. perhaps if the funds dwell in the unlimited area it might be different, but at point of sale and certainly thereafter, people are either emmotionally or mentally unsettled to one degree or another.

I've mentioned more than one speaker brand that is not 'mainstream' here based ONLY on performance.

perhaps its merely about the confidence level one has in the design and build, though the thought of support simply can not be set aside lightly.

personally I tend to think bad things won't ahppen to me if the kit is built really well and is brand new to boot. I've also been around long enough to know differently too.

as Bob Carver once said, "the lifetime warranty we offer is based on my life, not your's or the gear's".

warrnties are based on the makers health when eyeing a bit of this 'cottage industries finest' it do come to mind.

not trying to shoot down one man, or small business makers products what so ever, just pointing out facts associated with the human condition, on both sides of the coin.

I've bought things from exactly these kinds of makers and will again I'm sure.

add in one last bit... the bigger and heavier the things are, and with speakers there are always two of them, and most pricey speakers are pretty large and quite heavy, well.... then there's shipping worries.

being mostly optomistic I'd probably be willing to drop a large bit on what ever I felt was well built as said, but that's just me. it would not keep me from worrying .