Music I would succumb to under torture

A post on another topic was ...
viridian4,171 posts
I couldn’t listen to Diana Krall, or any of those other jazz lite vocalists that audiophile types listen to, on even the finest hi-fi, YMMV.

I would be useless in a war if captured.
If they played me Diana Krall, Sade or Frank Sinatra I would surrender and give them all the information they wanted! Just if they stopped playing that music and torturing me! I am having screaming habdabs just thinking about it ...
tatyana69
I think I understand the OP’s point, there is such a thing as abiding mediocrity. Many popular artists are popular because they are not great, just good enough to appeal to lots of people. The bell curve has far ranging implications in all human endeavors.

I will leave the room if I hear the Violent Femmes, Radiohead, Cold Play, cruise ship reggae covers of bad pop songs, or any of the many showboating egomaniacs who call themselves RnB singers today. Technology has made music production far too easy, to the point that bands are no longer necessary and anything is possible, including lots of wacky musical ideas that would never have gotten off the ground if these “artists” didn’t have all these sophisticated production tools which obviate the need for bands, and the musical chemistry that goes along with them. As a guy who has led bands for 40 years, it’s actually quite hard to get a group of people to play poorly conceived musical ideas, or music which is highly ego based. Not anymore.

Music is now wall paper and a lifestyle accessory, and it’s not going to get any better if people don’t expect more, or are simply unaware of how great people playing together in a room can be...  
Look up a singer by the name of Teresa Teng. Hailed in Asia as the all-time queen of "contemporary" vocals. High-end audio snobs would spend big dollars on vintage Western Electric, Tannoy, and JBL gear to play her poorly recorded cacaphony. Cheap South Asia cabaret music that makes me reach for ear plugs.  Fans enjoy her material reminiscing the days of going to tacky night clubs with PA boosted with echo and reverb to the max, and these poor sounding masters happen to mate well with electronics producing unusual amounts of 2nd harmonics.

Great thread subject!

In addition to Diana Krall,(I LOVED her in the 90's) and  most "smooth jazz,"
ANY "audiophile" recording and R&R  released around 1980'(my likes are particular from there)

If Hotel California were played, I'm afraid I would be charged with treason.