Not Enjoying My Turntable

I purchased a u-turn orbit plus six months back to get into the experience of vinyl and collecting again. So far I have enjoyed the process of album buying and the tactile experience of vinyl. However, I just am not happy with the sound. Generally I have always enjoyed playing music with the treble turned up. Maybe because of some hearing loss I don't know. Also, I have had some problems with the turntable. The needle skips and to me the sound is muffled.

I am sure I could fix some of these problems with a equalizer and some troubleshooting with the turntable but am I just chasing the dragon here? In short am I doing something wrong.
128x128brimel1974
I have VPI Scout with Ortofon 2m black going into a Decware all tube phono pre, then to Parasound separates or even Marantz separates if I move the interconnects. It's not Mac equipment by any means, but it's good enough for me and about all I can afford or want to spend on gear. That said I can a/b to death playing an LP and a 4 year old iPad playing Spotify going to a 50 dollar blue tooth receiver connected to the Parasound. No diffidence in sound, absolutely none!  At best vinyl sounds as good, but for me it doesn't blow away cd or even streaming. But I do like all that is involved in playing vinyl so take it for what its worth.

@elizabeth  You say things sound 'fine' with your method of set up but it can certainly sound BETTER .... I'd like to suggest you look at Peter Lederman's videos at his website  https://www.sound-smith.com/

I recently had a problem with overhang ... I was short of the mark by about 3 cm's .... had to get a new headshell to reach the correct placement ... but when I did ... what a difference~! Everything was tighter, more focused, yet highly resolving, warm and musical. If one spends just a little time and is patient, benefits are reaped.

I have no need to make a lot of effort to 'maybe' make it sound better. Knowing MY grass is GREEN ENOUGH.. I do not need to chase some other grass, 'because it could be better' Yeah and it could be a worthless money pit. (Been there done that)
Know when to stop is just as important as knowing anything else.
I think we can all agree that playing vinyl records has become a 'cultural' fad. A sure sign it has entered the mainstream is the sheer number of tv commercials that are riddled with turntables. The 'climax' always seems to be that close up shot of a stylus about to hit the record as if to say: 'now something really meaningful is about to take place'. By association the purchase of the product being advertised (just about every lifestyle product you care to mention) will be just as meaningful as that stylus about to hit home.....

Obviously this has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality and - no offense - neither does a $300 turntable. High quality vinyl playback requires real commitment and fairly deep pockets to reach a level that surpasses digital (either on CD or download). If you have neither, don't go there. I'm not being elitist, its simply a fact of life.

If the OP is serious about sound quality and not just about enjoying the tactile sensation of holding a LP sleeve or vinyl disc or being mesmerized by looking at that descending stylus, he should throw away this device, make another U-turn and think about how far he or his wallet is willing to go. If he's willing to add one zero to his $300 'orbit', he'll be in business and should return to this forum for advise. There are plenty of enthousiasts (more than he'll bargain for) happy to help him make some choices that will give him a taste of what we're on about here. 

The 'spend more money' theory of audiophilia. The answer to ANY audio question for many audiophiles is... Ta Daaa... SPEND MORE MONEY.   
The real magic is fixing the problem free... free. ever think of that?OMG never!!!!!