Best speakers in the 50-60k range ?

Some context: I’ve recently had to downsize my speakers. However since I got inot this hobby 2 years ago I’ve always been looking ahead, to see what my next big item purchase is. I’ve got a budget of about $60k for the speakers.

I have a superate budget for amp, dac, but regardless of the type of speaker I wind up with, I will get a electronic front end that makes sense for the speaker. I think it’s a bit backwards to be considering amp before I’ve selected the right speakers.

I  like pop, rock, metal, grunge like Rush, Metallica, Cranberries and Taylor Swift as much as I like better mastered music like Diana Krall.

Oh. And I like horns.

Here are the options I’ve been considering so far;

Purchasing another pair of JBL 4367. This option makes a lot of sense if I wanted to spend 100k on electronics instead. I was thinking Mcintosh (MC611) or Spectral (DMA360) amplification, or Pass Labs (XA200.8) as for preamps I could go with the Mcintosh C1100, the matching Spectral preamp, or the Pass Labs XP-30 or XS preamp. 

But I want to try Wilsons, or Avantgardes... see below.

Sasha DAW or Alexia Series 2. The former allows me to budget for a matching high power amp, the latter would require purchasing a lower end power amp until I’ve saved enough for a better one. Another option would be to wait until early 2020 before purchasing anything. The dealer I wanted to do business with carries both Mcintosh and Wilson... an audition for the aforementioned speakers is of course mandatory, and upcoming this summer. I’ve no doubt in my mind I’ll be impressed with what I hear but if im not I always have the JBL or other options.

Avantgarde Acoustics Duo XD or possibly Duo Mezzo. Yes I love horns. I am almost certain I would greatly enjoy these. I just love love horns. Another advantage is that these are self powered bass section speakers so I could use a low powered 2a3 tube amp with them. (I love 2a3 amps) which is significantly less expensive cost wise compared to the solid state beasts I’d need for the Wilsons...

Anyway that’s what I’ve got so far. I’ve asked around on another forum called audiosciencereview and the advice the few people I spoke with so far was that I’m better off getting another pair of JBL. It does seem logical. And I’d have a huge budget to play with for all manner of electronics... but the audiophile in me wants to get Wilson, or AG... 

Ill also be auditioning the Magico S5MKII but based on my research so far I don’t think I would like the sound of those speakers.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls
d2girls,

I'm in the camp that believes that you do not need to spend $60K on a set of speakers. I also believe that there are a lot of really good speaker manufacturers out there and trying to find the absolute perfect speaker would be a task that is next to impossible. I will only buy speakers that I can audition. The biggest issue you will have in this process is your room. It will be your biggest enemy and the biggest influence on your sound. Good room acoustics will make an inexpensive pair of speakers sound great and bad acoustics will make a great speaker sound like crap.

With the type of music you listen to I would highly recommend looking into pairing your speakers with a subwoofer. Especially with the Rush and Metallica not only will you be able to hear the kick drum but you will also be able to feel it. A sub will also add depth to your Taylor Swift and Diana Krall.

As for the speakers you have mentioned I am only familiar with Wilson Audio. My personal take on Wilson Audio is that they are overpriced but that hasn't stopped me from owning a pair. I have a set of the new Wilson Tune Tots coupled with REL S5 SHO subs and this rig can handle anything I throw at it from Tool to Diana Krall and then some. The weakest point in this rig is the vertical soundstage is more compact than my old Magnaplaners.

My total investment in speakers is $15K. Do they sound as good as a $60K rig? Probably not. Is there $45K improvement in sound quality between them? I highly doubt it.
I'll concur that when you are spending that much, getting the room right may be more important than the differences between speakers.  Setup.  Bass alignment.  Tame hard reflections.  Etc.  These things make 6-12 dB differences in response. Holy bright (or boomy, or sucked out, or....) Batman!
Sorry Josh,I thought you were saying that to all the speakers from the other contributers to this thread. 
The TotalDac loudspeakers look Interesting. They were at the RMAF 2018 which I sadly missed last year. I hope they are at the RMAF this year wherever it will be held. In fact if I had a spare 50,000 nuggets at my disposal and I needed a new pair of loudspeakers i would  ask JohnK very nicely to make me a pair of horns. On the flipside there is a pair of Wilson Alexandria's on here for about 50k that I would consider as a possible, amongst other loudspeakers. Thankfully for me I will never be in a position to have that amount of wonga available, not forgetting all the ancillaries needed, which would probably be another 50k at least. Rock on! 
My two cents (for what it's worth as I have not auditioned a lot of speakers in that price range) but I was interested in high end, high priced speakers in the not so distant past and ended up hearing some Rethm Saadhana (horns) and was thrilled with the sound.  It is closer to 20K in price, but if they are a horn sound you are looking for AND save you 25K, no complaints, right?  Beautiful too, IMHO.