Not Enjoying My Turntable

I purchased a u-turn orbit plus six months back to get into the experience of vinyl and collecting again. So far I have enjoyed the process of album buying and the tactile experience of vinyl. However, I just am not happy with the sound. Generally I have always enjoyed playing music with the treble turned up. Maybe because of some hearing loss I don't know. Also, I have had some problems with the turntable. The needle skips and to me the sound is muffled.

I am sure I could fix some of these problems with a equalizer and some troubleshooting with the turntable but am I just chasing the dragon here? In short am I doing something wrong.
128x128brimel1974
This is what happens when people stove pipe. In audio everything is relative. There are no absolutes. But in order to better judge where one is on the scale 1 to whatever it is usually helpful, if not absolutely necessary, to get out and listen to a lot of other systems. That’s the best way to avoid having blinders on. Check it out. You might be surprised. It might be heaven and it might be hell. 😬
@elizabeth 
I said no such thing. But if you think you can get 'audiophile' sound reproduction with a $300 turntable I would kindly suggest you put that vacuum cleaner on your ear and suck out whatever's stuck in there. 

Actually very well said Geoff.

I am always concerned my rig is not good enough or could be much better.
Audiophillia Nervosa for sure!

However of late I have had opportunity to listen to some other decent rigs at other people’s houses.

This has made me rescale my rig in terms of sq and vfm.

Upwards......

So it is a good thing indeed.

Good job really as with just putting a new roof on the house the spendy fund is rather shallow ... lol

Did the op SAY he was looking for 'audiophile sound quality'???I think the op said he was not pleased with the TT he has, due to various problems.. Like skipping. and muffled sound.Both of which are FIXED for free by cleaning off the stylus!! He has no need to spend money to clean the stylus. balance the TT flat. check the tracking force... NO MONEY ,ZERO... Then you come along and write: buy a $3000 tt or you have crap on a stick.(my translation)
Tell me you did not say that edgewear???And audiophile is relative. I an certain the op is a nice audiophile and can be happy as a clam with his $300 TT. NO PROBLEM. It is his TT, his setup, his appreciation.     
(Would "I" be happy with a $300 TT? lets see. YES. in fact I have a bought used (at least 15 years ago) $300 TT (Dual Golden One)  I stuck a free to me 30 year old Dynavector Ruby23 on. Sounds great. I could live with it no problem rather than my Kuzma.Now on to spending money. I did not say spending money was bad. I was writing that the suggestion to others as a SOLUTION is to SPEND MONEY sucks. Anyone can spend money. Finding a solution which someone can USE.. that is no cost or low cost is really the helpful solution. Everyone ALREADY KNOWS how to solve problems by spending wads and wads of cash. Jeesh.
@elizabeth 
Can't you read? The OP says he's not happy with the sound and he's wondering if an equalizer or troubleshooting with the turntable might fix his problems. I've merely suggested that fiddling with a $300 turntable is not going to bring him any closer to that dragon. He'll need a bigger boat......