Do posters intend to hurt the feelings of other members?

It is usually the case that members engage in spirited, often passionate, discussions in threads. That’s normal. Regrettably, often those discussions veer off the tracks, where members are offended or genuinely have their feelings hurt by the content of others’ post(s). 

Do posters intend to hurt the feelings of other members? Your thoughts?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcelander
I think millennials get a bad rap. Sure, some of the stuff that is in the news, is politicized, etc. makes it seem like @geoffkait is right. 
I'm retired from a profession in NYC which was not exactly a polite business- high stakes litigation.
I now teach part-time  at a very good law school here in Austin, Texas. Granted, Texas has its own charms, but many of the students come from all over the US and beyond. Most of them are not only hard workers, but pretty skeptical of the everything, including the popular image of their generation.  Obviously, I try to avoid stepping into potholes on some of the more controversial issues, but at least at post-grad level, most of these younger folks are pretty astute, and just want to excel. We can address an issue like a "morals clause" in a contract or the impact of confidentiality in an era that is increasingly demanding transparency and deal with the issues without getting caught up in the gears. 
For me, coming from an older generation, I've actually learned quite a bit from these young lawyers in training-- I like their energy, they aren't jaded, and often have the ability to look at a problem without the conventional blinders that lead to closed loop thinking. 
They also grew up with the Internet in a way some of us didn't. And though they deal with it, perhaps more than we do (and are often better at computers!), they seem to have the same skepticism about where it leads. 
I'm trying to avoid any political overtones here. I do think that it is very healthy to tune out some of the noise, get off the 'feed' and work with people in person. 
Post removed 
@nonoise - I love that movie! I went hunting for the Barbara Billingsly clip a few weeks ago and saw a highlight reel. That movie could not be made anymore. They insulted everybody! Some of it was silly, but there were scenes I had forgotten about that had me gasping for breath. Stellar cast, too.