Tight bass sub recommendations

What are the recommendations for a high quality subwoofer set- up. I have Maggie’s 1.7I speakers which I love but I think could use a little sub energy. Most of what I have tested seems a little boomy. I know there are 2 schools of thought 1 sub or 2 subs. I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
schmitty1
color me fanboy but 2 built in subs and 11 bands of analog and variable Q and I have killer audiophile bass right at my listening position....and ha, IF I want to add two more I can....

and the transfer function function of my main amp shapes the whole shebang....

let me see..great  bass everywhere but no stereo image in that far left corner......yep, guess I should retreat to bose 901.....
the real power of a fantastically executed sub is threefold...

take the strain off the 80-100 hz and up drivers

power correct the amp driving the variable EQ and Q ( duh ) sub

optimize the high pass amp because it now nolonger deals with nasty back emf, etc....

your results may vary....

@millercarbon, one thing to be aware of is that there may be more to the difference between a given company’s sealed and ported subs than the sealed or ported enclosure itself. Rythmik Audio offers subs with either a 15" or 18" woofer in both a sealed and ported enclosure, and using the provided foam plugs to block the ports in the ported model does NOT, according to Rythmik design engineer/owner Brian Ding, make them identical (for reasons explained by Ding in the technical pages of the company’s website). Interestingly, his subs using 8" or 12" woofers are offered as sealed designs only, not ported.

Highly technical details on all aspects of sub design are provided on the Rythmik Audio website. Well worth reading, even if you elect to get a sub or four from a different company. Speaking of four subs (a real good idea), as Duke said a swarm can be created from any group of subs, four identical ones perhaps easiest to optimize in a room (for reasons, again, explained by Ding). Another subject covered by Ding is that of mixing sealed and ported subs in a room. Though he recommends not doing it (again explaining why), for anyone insisting on doing so he provides the information necessary to do it correctly. The plate amps on the Rythmik subs include controls to aid in that endeavor, including continuously-variable phase and 3-position damping.

Very interesting reading regarding subs and the various approaches to consider.
I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
'Tight bass' is a thing that does not seem to exist in nature. Its an artifact of over-damped speakers in a hifi setup.