I’m gob smacked. What were you’re aha moments?

Had a productive couple of weeks on the used gear market and today has been digital demo day (Analog arrives next week). Added a Bryston BCD-3 and original Tara Labs Prime I/C’s to my system at very good prices. 

I don’t have “golden ears” by any stretch but I’m gob smacked at the results.

The BCD-3 is replacing an Oppo UDP-205 w/ DHL BL-1 I/C’s. Rest of gear is an Anthem STR integrated and ML Monti’s. My bass has easily doubled, maybe tripled. I can feel the pressurization in my room and it’s tight not bloated. 

I think this has been the biggest jump up in SQ I’ve experienced. What were your biggest surprises/improvements regardless of budget?

lmnop
OK, Here goes nothin’

This is the page for colored 3/4” ceramic disc magnets from the PWB Electronics web page. Keep in mind these are only slightly magnetic. The real PWB Magnadiscs are treated but you can do pretty well with stock ceramic magnets. Just not as good as the real macaw! Metaphors be with you!

Timely tip, spray ceramic magnets first with white primer, then spray on color of your choice. That way you get good solid pure color magnets.

Another tip, PWB now has a universal Rainbow MagnaBlock that replaces all the colored ceramic discs. No fuss, no worry. Priced right! Buy a bunch! 

http://pwbelectronics.co.uk/product/colouredmd/colouredmd.html
One thing to keep in mind. This colored magnet thing is really an illustration of the power of COLOR with respect to sound quality, not so much the power of MAGNETISM since the colored discs are actually very low magnetism. It doesn’t help to use more powerful magnets. The Rainbow MagnaBlock from PWB is also only very slightly magnetic.

And I don’t wish to complicate this too much, gentle readers, or frighten away any newbies, but I should add this whole colored magnet thing is an excellent example of how some things that are not (rpt not) in the signal path by any stretch of the imagination affect the sound. E.g., colored magnets on bookshelves, glass windows, computers, iPads, books, etc.