Best speakers in the 50-60k range ?

Some context: I’ve recently had to downsize my speakers. However since I got inot this hobby 2 years ago I’ve always been looking ahead, to see what my next big item purchase is. I’ve got a budget of about $60k for the speakers.

I have a superate budget for amp, dac, but regardless of the type of speaker I wind up with, I will get a electronic front end that makes sense for the speaker. I think it’s a bit backwards to be considering amp before I’ve selected the right speakers.

I  like pop, rock, metal, grunge like Rush, Metallica, Cranberries and Taylor Swift as much as I like better mastered music like Diana Krall.

Oh. And I like horns.

Here are the options I’ve been considering so far;

Purchasing another pair of JBL 4367. This option makes a lot of sense if I wanted to spend 100k on electronics instead. I was thinking Mcintosh (MC611) or Spectral (DMA360) amplification, or Pass Labs (XA200.8) as for preamps I could go with the Mcintosh C1100, the matching Spectral preamp, or the Pass Labs XP-30 or XS preamp. 

But I want to try Wilsons, or Avantgardes... see below.

Sasha DAW or Alexia Series 2. The former allows me to budget for a matching high power amp, the latter would require purchasing a lower end power amp until I’ve saved enough for a better one. Another option would be to wait until early 2020 before purchasing anything. The dealer I wanted to do business with carries both Mcintosh and Wilson... an audition for the aforementioned speakers is of course mandatory, and upcoming this summer. I’ve no doubt in my mind I’ll be impressed with what I hear but if im not I always have the JBL or other options.

Avantgarde Acoustics Duo XD or possibly Duo Mezzo. Yes I love horns. I am almost certain I would greatly enjoy these. I just love love horns. Another advantage is that these are self powered bass section speakers so I could use a low powered 2a3 tube amp with them. (I love 2a3 amps) which is significantly less expensive cost wise compared to the solid state beasts I’d need for the Wilsons...

Anyway that’s what I’ve got so far. I’ve asked around on another forum called audiosciencereview and the advice the few people I spoke with so far was that I’m better off getting another pair of JBL. It does seem logical. And I’d have a huge budget to play with for all manner of electronics... but the audiophile in me wants to get Wilson, or AG... 

Ill also be auditioning the Magico S5MKII but based on my research so far I don’t think I would like the sound of those speakers.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls
Post removed 

@godbless

I do get it on the look to non mainstream makers gear to promote the industry, technology, etc.

another thing or two that is worthy of considerable thought at the OPs price range for ‘supposed’ speakers, are:

as with digital, speaker advances have been coming fast and furious just these past several years. .

meaning IF a budget for speakers is high, but it is the ONLY likely speaker buying budget for an unknown periood, say a ‘one and done’ hopefully ‘best possible ’ safari, I’m not too sure I’d want to be married to that proposition.

If the 50K circumstances may never repeat I’ve got to stay in the mainstream well established likely gonna be here speaker brands and models.
Dark Cherry, Rosewood, or black. maybe something ‘burrled’.

if the funding will recoup soon, then if something out side of the established brands intrigues me enough, then sure. I’d likely dip my toes in those waters.

Absolutely I’m all in!!! spend the bread man! spend it and dig it!! see if they come in Zebra stripes. leopard spots? or better yet, the ‘Matrix’ or Urban camo look.

always though, EXP showed me repeatedly its what’s up front that counts… and from these pages, the room matters and has to be a consideration.

big, expensive, gorgeous speakers are not all one finds at the end of the ‘audio rainbow’.

In Drag racing, if you have 6000 HP but can’t hook up with the track properly, you’ll amaze fans with perhaps an incredible looking race car and it might make huge burn outs, but you won’t win any races, and that’s where the ‘drag’ part of Dragracing comes in.

I must second larryi’s recommendation of the Charney Audio Horns. I have a pair and have the privilege of living close enough to go to Charney and listen to his various creations. His most expensive horn, the Concerto, all decked out with AER level 3 drivers and veneered in your choice of wood will still come in way lower than your budget. A budget is a great place to start but high cost doesn’t always equate to great quality in sound. Travel to Somerset NJ, audition the Charney Audio Horns, and let your ears decide!