Differences between cd transports?

Howdy,I borrowed a dedicated CD transport (Musical Fidelity) from a friend. I have found that music sounds much better with his transport than with the CD player I’ve been using to spin CDs. In both cases, I am using exactly the same DAC via the optical out connection from the transport and the CD player. So: is there any rational reason that, using the same digital to analog converter, one CD spinner should sound much better than another?Thanks!  
rebbi
Some DACs perform better with Toslink than USB/coax/etc., so a blanket statement about which input is best for a specific DAC can’t be made.
That's why I said "often". 
I have an Oppo 105 that I was using with a quality WireWorld toslink. I upgraded it’s input IEC and silver wire to the power supply and later I replaced the OEM power supply with a Linear Power Module, but was not happy with the sound, so I bought a Marantz HD CD 1 to use as a transport. When I replaced the toslink with a TOL WireWorld Coax the Marantz took a giant step forward.

I finally got around to hooking my Oppo 105 back up, this time with the Coax. Coax is so much better on these 2 players used as transports. I doubt there is a transport where toslink would sound better. Some newer high end transports no longer include toslink
Um parts quality and power supply add to why one sounds better than the other, then there is the laser, plus tray loading or top clamp.  For example, a few CD transports have a separate power supply like the old Audiomeca and Metronome ones.  You can read about some of this on the Lampinzator (spelling) website or thereabouts.

Happy Listening   
There are a number of differences. And no, a DAC cannot eliminate anything coming out of the transport!!! The information extracted by the transport cannot be improved, any assertion otherwise demonstrates a gross lack of understanding of physics and mechanical engineering. That said, the quality of the actual transport mechanism can vary wildly. The Music Hall is an inexpensive player and uses lesser quality parts from start to finish. Also, isolation of the transport mechanism from transformer is a big culprit in degradation of the signal. Additionally, the quality of the coax port itself can have an effect. Build quality of the unit also impacts vibration. Lastly, all your connection points that are open allow digital distortion to enter the player. Toslink is always inferior to coax transmission. Quality of cable of course will impact. As you’ve experienced, the player/transport change impacted the sound. Remember, if the information from your source is comprised it will be down through the signal path by very definition. You can’t correct for what’s not there to begin with. Upgrade your transport if you hear a difference and you get to enjoy the music more. Remember, in the end it’s about the music! Best of luck.
tweak1-- so what was better, the Oppo 105 via coax, or the Marantz HDCD1 via coax?  I'm curious because I use my Oppo 105 via XLR's to a Hegel H360 Integrated to play SACD's and HDCD's and was thinking about trying the coax digital output to compare the sound quality.  Perhaps the Hegel DAC is better than the Oppo's, but not sure.