Music I would succumb to under torture

A post on another topic was ...
viridian4,171 posts
I couldn’t listen to Diana Krall, or any of those other jazz lite vocalists that audiophile types listen to, on even the finest hi-fi, YMMV.

I would be useless in a war if captured.
If they played me Diana Krall, Sade or Frank Sinatra I would surrender and give them all the information they wanted! Just if they stopped playing that music and torturing me! I am having screaming habdabs just thinking about it ...
tatyana69
Good grief ... after a couple of hours of that played on a loop ....... aaarrgh - surely any sane person would go mad ...
Indeed, what is the point of that recording? What was she trying to achieve?
Pop country makes me sick. Old country I can listen to. alt-country is often pretty good. But take the standard fare at any televised country music award show (I think they have one every second Tuesday) and there you have my list of unlistenables.

Next is standard pop. It is on the radio at my office all day, fortunately at very low volume. Literally the same 10-15 songs played over and over, sometimes 4 times during business hours. All bad. All sounds the same. But I guess, since I have endured it all these years.....it cannot break me under torture.............maybe I'm tougher than I think I am........

When it comes to stuff like rap I'm perfectly willing to say that I've just never given it a chance. And from what little I've heard, I don't like it...but it does not make me cringe the way intentionally mediocre pop and pop country do.

@n80, "Pop" Country drives me out of the room. After being exposed to it even briefly, I need to cleanse my soul by listening to some real Country (referred to as Americana by some, though many so-considered artists are not what I myself consider Country). Thankfully there is quite a bit of it being made these days---real good songs, singing, and musicianship. For the Americana-curious, check out The Americana Awards Show (hosted annually by Jim Lauderdale) on You Tube, and the No Depression website.

I know a lot of younger (than I, anyway ;-) Rock music lovers have a "problem" with Country, but remember, Elvis was called The Hillbilly Cat when he first appeared. Country/Hillbilly is a large element in "real" Rock 'n' Roll; it was removed from the music when Rock 'n' Roll became Rock, Blues remaining as the major element. Country made a reappearance in Rock in the late-60's with the emergence of The Band, Gram Parsons and Chris Hillmans The Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan of course (who had been recording in Nashville since '65) in his John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline albums, and many others (I won't further bore the uninterested).