Speaker Longevity

Can someone give me some advice on how speakers wear? I have a 10 year old pair of Vienna Acoustic Beethoven's. I have never turned them up and l don't listen to rock, I basically listen to Solo vocal, Acoustic, Sacred Vocal, and Chamber. I have been running them through an all tube system by Quicksilver Audio, with a Vandersteen sub.. Do they degrade over time? Or, do speakers either work or not work?
Thanks, I would really appreciate some knowledgeable input.
rickpur
Has the sound degraded? In what way!

If it has, the speakers may just be the messenger and the problem could be elsewhere (if there is one).

If sound has degraded, I'd suspect a tube or tubes in the other gear to be the most likely culprit. ?
Speakers have two vulnerabilities.
#1 biggest is the deterioration of the surround material on the larger drive units. IF the material is either paper, only on very old (1950's) types, or real rubber, then the surrounds are good for at minimum 20.30 years.. For the unfortunate with foam surrounds, the lifespan is typically 8/12 years.. sooner if speakers are used hard, longer if used gently, but foam rots from the ozone in the air and not as much from usage. Foam surrounds are very soft and easily snagged or torn.
foam surrounds are easy to replace, and many kits are available to replace foam surrounds. Expect to pay $100/150 for a four surround do it yourself kit. You need only to have minimum handyman skills to replace foam surrounds.
For rubber and paper, the speakers need reconing, a more labor intensive job best left to professionals. Rubber is usually black roll, and flexible, hard to tear, and pretty good, better speakers almost all use rubbler now. Paper surrounds were on older speakers from the 40's and 50's.. paper lasts nearly forever. but is also the hardest to have fixed properly if damaged. A real expert is needed to fix them.
The way to tell if your surrounds are bad is to look at the surface of the cones, The cones have a surround, Is it intact? Yes then no problem. Do not replace them until they are broken or cracked. (If a crack allows air to bypass the cone, it is broken, no matter how small the crack or tear.) Do not get surrounds fixed as a 'preventatative measure. One never knows how long a surround may last, and a repair may fail before the original would have.. so if it is not broken DO NOT FIX IT.
The second weak spot in a speaker is the crossover in the capacitors. Capacitors usually last about 20 years, and again, the problem is inherent in the design, and use or non use in a speaker does not matter too much. If the speaker does not play correctly, and it is not a scratching sound, and the surrounds are not broken or ripped, then it is invariably the capacitors in a crossover.
Replacing all the crossover caps after 20 years as a preventative measure is a reasonable idea.
As for the rest, a speaker can last 70 years, easily without a problem..even longer.
A scratcing sound indicates a speaker voice coil is damaged. This involves the same cost as a reconing. Voice coils become damaged from extreme hard use. So I do not think you would ever have this problem.
I am sure the speakers have degraded over 10 years, but the question is have your ears degraded even more during that period ?

I would quit worrying about it and enjoy the speakers. Popular wisdom (?) on the net has it that speakers can last up to 30 years without significant deterioration.
I am equally sure that they haven't. Why would you think they would? I just sold my newest pair of speakers, they were 11 years old. The ones I listen to most are 18 years old. Barring damage or the kind of things Elizabeth describes speakers last a long time. It takes many speakers a considerable length of time to sound their best. I would bet that a significant percentage of the speakers for sale on Agon aren't even fully broken in.
Rickpur...are you asking out of curiousity or are you experiencing a degradation in the sonics from your system? If you are running an all-tube system and things have been getting gradually worse, or even if they suddenly got worse, I would look at your tube amps and make sure you don't have a bad tube as Mapman suggested. Do you know how many hours you have logged on your power output tubes, the input and driver tubes, etc...?