Sophia 2/Magico V2 versus Sasha/Magico V3

So I'm currently enjoying Wilson Sophia 2s and Magico V2s in my home.

Amplification is Pass XA 100.5, preamps alternate between H20 Fire (solid state) and Audio Valve Eclipse (tube). Sources are Modwright Transporter and Raven One/Tron Seven.

These speakers are very different. The Sophia 2s are more energetic and vibrant, have more robust bass and a lot more forward presence. They can bark at you with certain recordings (upper midrange glare), they are not gentle. Used with a tube preamp, I find the timbre to be very natural sounding, giving a great deal of the 'instruments are in the room' feeling. With solid state preamp, they sound a little cold - a little 'ceramic' if you will.

The Magico V2 is slightly colored in comparison - more of a wood sound, not as much as Avalon, but it's there. The highs are nowhere as crisp, the bass comes up a bit short and they do not have the dynamics of the Wilsons. However, they offer a heck of a lot more detail in the upper midrange and highs. I hear so much more of what is going on than the Sophias. For example, horn sections on the Wilsons almost sound compressed, whereas on the Magicos they open up and come to life; I can't get over the difference.

So here's where I'm going with this: the natural upgrade path for the Magico is the V3 and the Wilson, the Sasha. Can anyone speak to what characteristics are retained versus gained (or lost for that matter) in the two upgrade paths? If it were easy to hear them in my own home, I wouldn't ask, but unfortunately it's going to be work and I may only get to hear one of these.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
Madfloyd,

Any further insights, comments, thoughts, decisions, etc.?

I'm in the same situation as you, Sophia II owner looking at Magico as an upgrade. I can post some of my thoughts and experiences, although they are slightly contradictory to the other posters thusfar.
I currently own Sophia II's and was considering changing to Magico V2's; however after listening at length, I decided that the Sophia II's were more balanced. In addition, I loved the dynamics of the Sophia's. On a side note: my listening room is 26' x 28' and that does influence my preference for a certain type of speakers.
I've been really enjoying the V2s, mostly because (and this doesn't match Ricred1's experience) I find them more balanced. I feel I'm hearing everything in the recording at proper levels whereas with the Sophia 2 the upper midrange frequencies are recessed/compressed.

I'd love a mix of the two speakers because the Wilsons have more slam and presence. I've ruled out the V3 for the time being and am pursuing the Sasha. I will be auditioning them again this coming Thursday.
Ricred1,

Can you give us more detail on how the Sophia is more balanced than the V2. Was it the midrange, highs or bass, etc? Did you feel one had more detail over the other and if so in what range?

Also how far do you sit from you speakers in your large room?

Thanks
Wilson Sophia II's
Bass- very good; Mids- very good; Highs- very good; dynamics- great = balanced to my ears

Magico V2
Bass- adequate; Mids- great; Highs- very good; dynamics- good = not as balanced as the Sophia II's to my ears;

My listening position is 12' away from my Sophia II's.

For me you must put everything in perspective. I already own the Sophia II's; therefore any speaker that I would change to, would have to be significantly better in all parameters. There are no absolutes in audio, only preferences!