Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Hi all,
I'm a bit late to the game here but my phonostage took a dump about two weeks after I received my Souls in June and I have been dicking around with the manufacturer ever since. I finally just bought a new one. I digress.

So, now that I'm up and running again here's my input. If you want to skip the following, these are my favorite speakers of all that I've owned. To date I've had Totem Staffs, Totem Model 1's, diy with Jordan drivers, diy open baffle with Visaton drivers and Druids with the 2008 driver compliment.

Ladavid, if you've got the cash I wouldn't hesitate to move to the Souls. Compared to the Druids you get more resolution and a lot deeper bass. These are significantly more dynamic than the Druids as well. Lastly, the finish over the stock Druids is phenomenal. In retrospect I would have paid a lot more than $1,800 or $2,800 for these speakers. Sean told me via email that the Soul Superfly uses the Definition tweeter. It was actually a bit bright for me at first. I've ended up running them with just a bit of toe-in in my small room (9' x 11' x 9'). I'll experiment with the suggested toe-in later.

FYI, I'm running them with Almarro's A318B. That's 18 class "A" SET watts. It been a good mix. I'm currently working my ass off and looking forward to Shindo gear eventually (years down the road).

I have a pair of Mission IC's that were a free comp. for a broken pair of Wyldes. That's how to run a business! I ordered the Mission speaker cables last week and can provide a comparison to the Libtecs if desired.

Happy listening.

Jon
Sort of a side note, I am curious if anyone has tried their Soul or other Zu speaker with Wadia's new PowerDAC 151? I know the unofficial de facto standard is to pair tubes with Zu, but I know there has to be people out there running SS amps.
I'll be running my Superfly with SS Naim and will report back when I have them.

I'm wondering whether Zu will quietly drop the basic Soul now that Omen is here.

Mike
F1audio: I ran Druids with host of class-d amps, lost patience, and switch to peachtree nova (SS).

I also compare nova with HK3490 -- it is poor man Nova.

I do not know if it is Sabre Dac vs Burr Brown, or pre-amp stage, or MOSFET vs whatever op amp HK use, but Nova kick pants off HK. It is a good combination absolutely, and a great choice for money. For beginner/person with budget/veteran who is tired of nonsense i would recommend it.

I have tried low power tubes and do not like them on Druid. Highly overrated in my opinion. Also, I do not think push pull tube are that much better than A/B SS. So that leaves you with ~50WPC SET. At this point, I think good implementation of that difficult configuration is more important that tube vs SS.