What percentage of audiophiles use a sub ?

Since joining the site I have noticed that a lot of you don't actually use a subwoofer. I was pretty surprised by this as I could never listen to any music without some good low-end, so, curious how many do and how many don't and if not, why.
thomastrouble
I have a B&W ASW 850 15" sub integrated with N800's. I use the Velodyne SMS-1 EQ and Rives Audio professional test measuring kit to make sure I was able to integrate the sub properly. Above all, my ears were the final measuring stick in which to gauge the quality of the sub integration. I love bass to, but, one should not hear the presence of the sub when it is on and it should not be localized. It should add some dynamic swings to music that has very deep bass, otherwise, one should not hear it.

Don't get me wrong, when I want to feel the bass, and play Aerosmith loudly, Train Kept a Rolling, I increase the sub volume a lot, because I can and because, the bass in that song kicks ass when played at very loud levels. Most of the time, I am driving the speakers with little 140 watt per channel mono amps and the bass is sufficient.

So add me to the pro sub camp. In fact looking for another ASW 850, just to increase bass as you know, but, you already knew that.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
I've tried over the years on a few occasions to match a sub with my preference for planar speakers (Apogee and Magnepan)

I was never able to get what I felt was the proper match between the sub and main speakers. I always felt the deeper bottom was gained by sacrificing other things.

Having said that, I fully agree that as was mentioned earlier, a properly matched setup would be great.

I've always been happier with optimizing low end with speaker placement. Which at least in my case, has always gotten me close enough. Besides, I'm a mid-range fanatic. deep deep low end is about number 4 on my list for music enjoyment.
I, too, used to think that it was extremely difficult to integrate a sub in a high-end two-channel system. However, the JL Audio F113 has shown me how easy and effective it can be. It is the first sub that I've heard that is fast enough to keep up with my B&W 800's. The main improvement is a sense of scale and filling in the soundstage. Since I don't have any neighbors to offend, there are no compromises at all with this setup.
Elizabeth said "except of course, to massage one's internals, which some enjoy."

I do hope that you are not too old to still enjoy that. Get a sbwoofer:)

Bob
I'd have to say that a good percentage of the systems that include subs that I've heard don't impress me. The bass is overblown and unnatural and doesn't much resemble the live acoustic music I enjoy.

That's not to say a sub that has been well matched to the system and properly adjusted can't help with large orchestral pieces, but my exposure indicates "doing it right" is hardly a slam dunk.

Keep in mind that the majority of instruments don't have fundamentals that are all that low. Low E on a bass guitar is 41 Hz. Low notes on a grand piano are ostensibly lower, but they have a very heavy component of overtones that are actually louder than the fundamentals in that range. Large drums can also benefit.

However, the vast majority of music is in the midrange. I lose interest if the system doesn't have that right or if the added subwoofer screws up that balance.

In short, for some of us a subwoofer done poorly is a far worse offense than a system with a slightly shy bottom end