What percentage of audiophiles use a sub ?

Since joining the site I have noticed that a lot of you don't actually use a subwoofer. I was pretty surprised by this as I could never listen to any music without some good low-end, so, curious how many do and how many don't and if not, why.
thomastrouble
Mlsstl,

I agree. I do use subs, but they are a PITA to get set-up properly. However, you don't need a professional to do it - provided you have a taste for the work.

A good DRC subcontroller (like Velodyne or SVS/Audyssey), a good active x-over (I use NHT), two (or more) good subwoofers and some elbow grease will work out fine. At the end of the day, count on app. $2500 and up, plus your hourly rate x 20 or 30 hrs. Once done, you may very well get IN-ROOM bass performance (depending on your room) that's unmatched by any non-DRC full range speaker at any price.

Not for everybody, for sure, but IMHO worth it if you're willing on the terms above.
Martykl, I actually think we're in substantial agreement. Summed up, both of us are saying that adding a well integrated subwoofer to a system is a lot of work to get right. My added comment is that, if not done properly, you can end up worse off.
BOOM BOOM BOOM A BOOB SUBWOOFER MOOM LIKE BOOM BOOM BOOM REL OR BOOM JL BOOM AND MAYBE BOOB BOOB A VELODYNE BOOM IS NICE BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM
Mlsstl

Completely agreed. Hence, my last post started with "Mlsstl, I agree". I was only amplifying on your comments.

Subs aren't for everyone and you can !definitely! end up worse off with subs if you don't get it just right.

Marty
Hi,

for me, the point is not getting more Boom, but extending frequency range.
And for that it doesn't matter if ou are using subs or full range speakers.

Many instruments show some amount of very low frequencies (e.g. wehen strings ar plucked, drums are beaten etc.), and several larger concert halls have modes at low frequencies (The Vienna Musikverein @ 21 Hz).

This means that the room interferes with those low fequencies.
If they are missing, because the setup cannot go that low, the music will sound flat, not spaceous.

An important thing here is that the listening room needs to have a good (dry) bass response.

If that is not the case, any sub oder fullrange speaker willsound boomy, which is awful.

Cheers

Babak