MULTI-CH SACD'S on 2CH SOUND STRANGE?

I HAVE A 2CH SACD PLAYER. SOMETIMES SACD's sound pretty good, but in several cases, usually with orchestral pieces, for some reason the melody carried by the string section gets drowned out by the horns/brass instruments. the effect is unnerving, like i am hearing the background or supportive musical lines as the dominant voice and the theme as the supportive or background voice. i have tried switching the phase, and even going to the redbook layer (if there is one). Naturally these are Hybrid Multichannel Discs that can be played on a conventional, 2CH SACD, and 6CH SACD. I have even updated the firmware on my SACD player (EMM Labs) but to no avail. Am i the only one who has this problem? Funny thing is, the redbook cd's i have always thought sounded great still sound that way, and small ensembles/chamber music on SACD sound amazing. but it would seem i am getting some of the other channels mixed up with the main-front-L&R channels.
WHAT is wrong with this picture? Thanks for your feedback.
french_fries
My EMM player has a switch that in one mode plays 2CH SACD and in the other mode plays redbook 2CH. there is no specific information on the multichannel disc itself regarding the 2ch layer of sacd and the multichannel layer of sacd.
one would ASSUME there are 3 distinct layers - redbook, 2ch sacd, and 6ch sacd.
another disc- Pentatone Wagner excerpts sounds weird too- also a hybrid.
more a mishmosh of sounds with "almost" no distinct theme- you have to strain to hear it.
How does my EMM player sound on SACD's that don't exhibit problems? Amazing-
they almost spoil the experience of going back to redbook- even very good redbook- discs. such nuances that (mostly) only a very clean LP can deliver. you can really share in the emotions of the artists as they shape each phrase of the composition. It's a great technology, but 3 layers on the same disc could be problematic. My 1st EMM dac (the DAC6E) could have played those 6 tracks (into a 6ch preamp of course) with outputs to 6 mono amps or 3 stereo amps (or a "home theatre" amp) to 6 properly arrayed speakers in a properly configured listening space. not an option for most folks unless the speakers are very small and
you're watching LOTR on Blu-ray.
BUT NO, there has to be an answer to this question, with a possible solution as well.
Have you ever tried the SACD's that are giving you trouble on another player? It only happens once in a while, but sometimes I find that, occasionally, a disc has some compatibility issues or is just defective. You should be able to tell, even if the other player is not a high end unit. Anything that plays the formats should work fine for a test.

Also, you said you checked phase. How did you do that?
Isn't there a readout on the EMM that tells you what track/format is being played? My players do.
To French fries,

Could you please tell me about redbook CDs on your EMM. I am considering one to replace my Arcam, and would appreciate your observations on the sound quality.

Thanks...
Yashu, redbook cd's sound very good on my EMM player. so do most sacd's.
i probably need to label/catalog all the discs that are giving me problems.
there is a phase switch (a circle with a line bisecting it) that reverses phase
on the disc.
the display clearly states "2CH SACD" in the sacd mode when it is playing that format.
I called EMM and spoke to tech support and told them to make a note of the problem, although they responded that the player is working
the way it is supposed to and i am the only one who has called with this specific issue.