inserting 2 channel preamp

Not happy with 2 channel sound from home theater setup using Pioneer Elite SC-68. Thinking of inserting a good 2 channel preamp, or dac/preamp or integrated preamp. Any suggestions or experience with any of the above?
mig007
When ever setting up a combined system (HT and 2CH) emphasis is always put on the 2CH then the HT is the add on. Feed the L/R of the receiver into a input on the 2CH preamp, if no HT by pass just use a fixed setting on the volume knob for the HT Receivers volume adjustment setup. Other sources like Analog and CD etc is fed into the 2CH preamp.

My own system is set up this way you can check it out here on AG

Good Listening

Peter
Suggestions? How much do you want to spend? There are dozens of models to improve your 2 channel listening with an AVR.

Consider a 2 channel preamp with an HT Bypass feature but you'll need a separate 2 channel power amp for the L/R mains if you go this route. If you use an integrated, you'll have both pre and power in one box for your L/R mains. The AVR is freed up to power center and surrounds only; something you wouldn't use anyway for 2 channel listening. Whichever way you go, just make sure the preamp or integrated has a Home Theater Bypass feature allows for seamless integration with your AVR. You do not even have to level match with most of them, just push a button on the preamp or integrated and the volume control is bypassed and you control everything from the AVR for HT usage. For 2 channel, the AVR stays off and you use the preamp or integrated only with its volume control.

Like Peter above, my system is configured this way too and check out the pics here on Audiogon too.
My Pioneer Elite receiver goes thru an STI 500 Wyred 4 Sound integrated amp with an HT bypass for movies, and I feed the integrated directly for 2 channel. Also, used a Rotel 1095 as the amp and the Pioneer as a preamp for a while. Both hookups worked great. In fact I'm having a hard time deciding which to unload. I have not heard your Pioneer, but both improved my sound quality for 2 channel.
My Pioneer Elite receiver goes thru an STI 500 Wyred 4 Sound integrated amp with an HT bypass for movies, and I feed the integrated directly for 2 channel. Also, used a Rotel 1095 as the amp and the Pioneer as a preamp for a while. Both hookups worked great. In fact I'm having a hard time deciding which to unload. I have not heard your Pioneer, but both improved my sound quality for 2 channel.
My first serious HT setup revived my love for good music - which led me down the typical road of AVR first, then AVR with external amplification and some speaker upgrades.

Yet, I still felt something was holding back that major step up in sound quality - which was the AVR (the swiss army knife of a multitude of av features and the master of none).

Best thing I've done is to get a good integrated amp with HT Bypass to have a combo HT/Music setup.

Here's how my rig is set up

Overall diagram: http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-1.jpg

For Movies:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-HTmode.jpg

For 2-channel Music:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-2chnlmode.jpg

No muss, no fuss, no cable swapping.