My Venture into Hifi with Vandersteen Model 1

First off I must truly say how much I love this form and the wealth of information, the members provide. I was lucky to pick up a pair of Vandersteen Model 1 Speakers for a prayer. Lets say they were almost given away. The aesthetics of the speakers are I would have to say about a 9, seems as though they were frozen in time. I do not know much about these particular speakers. My question to the knowledgeable members out there, are these speakers any good and are they worth giving a go! I was planning on using them with my McIntosh MC30 tube amps. I got these from my Step father, he no longer has any use for them and figured I would like them. I guess I will hang on to them for a while and see how the Vandersteen sound with them.

Any input will be well appreciated.

Thanks
dhunte21
Zanon, OP may not have an comparative context for the price - simply listening to the combo, and if a beginner, he won't be able to assess how good they are versus other options in the price range. I think they are much better than "decent" for the price - some might argue they are the best sub $1000 speaker with any semblance of full-range bass. Might be one of the first choices I would pick for a non-audiophile that wants a good, full range-speaker (with an NAD or Rotel 100 watter) and then wants to stop thinking about audio and the next upgrade.

The MC30 is a wonderful amp (good enough to look for a speaker that is likely to mate well with it), that may have just enough power, but my sense is that Vandersteen in general really needs SS or a very high power tube amp to deal with the large impedance swings and low impedance (2 ohms or so?) in the bass - not to say you won't like it, but you might not know what the 1s are capable of without trying them 100 watts and high current output. Personally, I think your amp deserves a better and better matching speaker (though the VS is very good for the money), the MC30s are first rate, with a little maintenance (cleaning, capacitor replacements, etc) they should last you a long time. Let us know if you ever think of selling them. One of the great vintage amps!! Really in another overall league than the VS1s IMHO.
Someone with more exact knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the only way to tell if they are 1B or 1C models is to look at the serial number. If there is a B or a C at the end, then they are either 1B or 1C models. I hope you enjoy them; they have a great reputation.

-Bob
Thanks Pubul57, I really appreciate the input and the honesty, I have yet to but these babies together, from the following post I will pick up the speakers this week they seem to be worth a try. I did take the amps in to a local McIntosh dealer here is South Florida to have a once over and all he could say was WOW!! I guess thats a good thing. Thus starting me in the Hifi audio world. I guess it like a drug hard to kick, I am in the process of looking at other options to mate with my amps, or possibly buying some new ones. The problem is, being new there are so many options out there, one does not know where to begin. A good friend has been ranting and raving about the the tubes amps from Manley Labs, being that he has 2 mono blocks and I must say the sound is heavenly.

I guess I will start with what I have and work my way up from there. I think I keen on the McIntosh gear, seem like that is the way I am leaning, it's just finding some speakers that complement them.

Thanks for all the input.
What would work beautifully with those amps would be a pair of used Merlin TSMs - they are small monitors, and will not have the bass of the Vandersteen, but they are phenomenal speakers down to about 40Hz and easily driven by the Macs. I think with those amps you own a piece of history and they sure did know how to make amps back then - with a few parts replaced (capacitors, fuses, maybe tubes)you truly have a great 30 watt tube amp. Find speakers 89db and above sensitivity, with smooth and highish impedance (8 ohms nomiminal or higher, like Merlin)and you really have something worth holding on to, and rarer as the years go by. Manley Mahi? Snapper, etc are fine amps, but MC30s are iconic. Good luck.
Hey Dhunte21..... Be careful now and don't get too confused or all wrapped up in the "what's better ? game." You are gonna love the Vandy's with the McIntosh amps.... So, just build your system, sit back, and enjoy the music !! This is a very strange hobby........there will always be people who will tell you to spend more $$$, buy "better" stuff, and do things differently. Be smart, and learn to enjoy your favorite music at each step along the way. Being an "audiophile" is a personal experience, and there are a ton of opinions out there about how things should be done. Ultimately, the only opinion that really counts is your own.... if you can't wait to get home, power up your system, and spin your favorite tunes.... you're a winner !
So, relax, learn to love your Vandersteen -- McIntosh system, and have a ball !! Let the music move you.