Avalon Acoustics vs Wilson Audio

I would like to know how Avalon's sound compared to Wilson's. I heard that they have a similar sound, but just want to make sure from other peoples experience. I have heard, Sophia 3's, Sasha w/p, and the x2. I liked all 3 models. I haven't heard any Avalon's yet. I will definitely be looking to audition. Just thought I would ask for now.

My budget ($15k-$30k)is pretty broad for the sake of keeping an open mind. Realistically I'm thinking $20k'ish. That price is just for the pair of speakers mind you.

My current setup consists of Paradigm studio 60's v.5 (mains), cc-590 v.5 (center), studio 10's v.5 (rear's), Arcam avr-600. Primarily its an HT system, but I use it for music alot as well. It's a pretty good sounding system, but I've grown out of it for music. Its a superb setup for gaming and movies though. This is pretty much why I'm thinking of a dedicated 2ch setup.

Second option, is to upgrade my current system with better speakers. Use an outboard dac dedicated for music in conjunction with the avr-600. It would still be a 5ch system in the end though.

Any thoughts?
kazmann
Wilson really does not have the =great sound until you spend for the top of the line....Verity Sarastro or lowengren are on a different plane...more for music lovers instead of analyzing cds...also, wilson uses cheap drivers and charges a lot of $$$...
Trcnetmsncom, well said. I had listened to Eclipse and Eidolons in stores and shows for some time and they simply didn't, "hit me over the head," the way the Paradigm Studio 100s did.

I bought the Paradigms and began a merry-go-round of replacing electronics. I was fixed on the speaker and not the music. A few years later I tried the Studio 100 version 2. Thanks to a knowledgeable friends persistence I gave up on the Paradigms and purchase a pair of used Eidolons.

Within the first hour listening to the Eidolons at home this whole audio thing became very clear. Now after living with the Avalons I've only experienced a handful of speakers that sound correct to me.
The thing I noticed with Wilson Audio speakers is that most of this people had a lot of acoustic problems. Even with very musical amps classical music did not sound as it should be. Depth is ok, but there are enough speakers which do this better. I sold Avalon for about 6 years. I prefer them over Wilson Audio. But I am still not convinced about it. The stage is deep and wide, but instruments and voices are smaller and more sharper focussed in real than wenn I hear it at Avalon speakers. For realism in sound for classical music I prefer B&W 800,801 and 802 and the top od Sonus Faber. These speakers are not perfect either and have the limitations to be poor in depth.
Wilsons, very good hifi
Avalon, music/emotion
802D, bad hifi

YMMV !

I also agree that avalons (save the new compass) do not do rock yet wilsons can fatigue with rock !
In 2009 I had the chanche to listen to the Wilson Audio Alexandria 2 with my own music for 1,5 hours. It was with Ayre's most expensive power amps/pre, most expensive Transpanrent cables and the most expensive Wadia. I thought I will start with Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live. He was toooooo big. His head was far over 1 metre. Speakers were about 3m from eachother. Sorry, wenn you do a demo like this I never will take you serious. 2nd number: light my fire from jacintha is her name. The cross flute on the left side was at the same line of Jacinha her voice. It is recorded a few metres behind her voice. Wenn a system of this price is not able to let you hear depth I also will not take it seriously.