Active Vs. Passive

Hey guys, I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions.

Have any of you experienced fully active speakers? Did you like them? Why/why not?
daber_audio
I have never heard a fully active speaker to my liking, that aside i do believe it is the ultimate way to get things done unfortunately the efforts to do so IMO have been weak, hence I prefer passive bi-amping , well for the moment..

Regards,
One of the many speakers I own is a pair of Meridian active speakers. They are dual mono and biamped with an electronic crossovers.

The amplifiers are perfectly matched to the drivers and you have the ability to tailor the sound with upstream cables and components.
My reference dynamic speaker is one of the more unique designs available, the Legacy Audio Whisper DSW. It is an option available on the Whisper platform. The crossover is configurable from fully passive, to hybrid active/passive, to fully active. In fully active x-over mode the speaker uses six channels of amplification.

I wrote a three part article on Dagogo.com about the speaker system and direct comparison utilizing the best means possible, one speaker with three different crossover modes. Easily, handily the active crossover mode won. Those interested in SOTA sound and differences between actively and passively crossed speakers may find it an interesting read. In short, as I indicate in the review, the speaker system performs best in active x-over mode.

You can see the speaker on my system pics.

Just picked up a pair of Genelec 8020B's for use at the office with my 4G 32GB iPhone as a source (9000+ tracks). I checked it out in a pro audio music store and was astonished how well they performed. I had looked and listened to Audioengine A5's (cheap and a great value) and many other mini studio monitors but the Genelecs blew everything away by miles (to my tastes).

I did not get a chance to check them out directly against the Focal CMS 40 or 50 (another fully active design with a great reputation) but I heard through the grapevine that many people take Focals back for repair with a broken tweeter - the Be tweeter is very good but rather delicate to be sitting on a desktop where it can break if inadvertently bumped. The Genelecs have a nice grill to protect both woofer and tweet and the overall sound works extremely well at a distance of about 1 to 3 feet - the built-in stand works extremely well. Further than 3 feet and the bass seems to roll off rapidly but I don't care as I only need them for desktop listening and not for an office party - in fact this is a feature because it means I will cause less disturbance with the neighboring office!!

Anyway - if anyone wants to check out active speakers then Genelec is a great place to start!

Caveat - this is a precision sound that allows you to break apart the entire mix (you hear what each instrument is doing) - not unlike high end ATC's - so naturally the tight accurate bass and forward mids will seem anemic to many audio enthusiasts who crave impressive kaboom boom sound and expect to have the walls humming and to hear splashy treble (the "smile EQ" that sells domestic speakers). However, musicians will enjoy these speakers greatly.
Thanks for the responses, guys. To clarify, I'm very familiar with active speakers, but for some odd reason, you just don't hear a whole lot of chatter about them.

I was mostly just looking to read the opinions of others who have experienced them. Great feedback!