Problem with my Sony SCD-777ES

My Sony has developed a problem. It generally refuses to play SACDs, and when it will play them, it does so with a very audible mechanical clicking sound. A bit temperamental with redbook CDs as well.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Sony no longer has a repair depot that accepts customer drop-offs. I would need to ship the unit to them, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. To get counter service, I need to go to a Sony authorized service provider, but I wonder if any of these shops really know what they are doing with a unit like the 777.

Any thoughts?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Drubin,

I love my Sony SCD-777es !

I have experienced the same problem once in the past year.

It is caused by extreme heat resulted from extensive brake-in period playback.

Turn it off and let it cool down for an hour or so.

Also you have to make sure that the SACD transport is leveled. Stop by your local SEARS store an get an acrylic circular level (Cat # 939891).

Open the SACD player drawer and put the level on top of the gold weight of the transport and made the necessary adjustments.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Frank P.
Drubin, to my dismay, I've had the same trouble with my unit, while breaking it in. It just balked with certain SACD disks, wouldn't play them. But then I had no trouble with the CD version of the same disk. Possibly Tube guy is right in that the unit got too hot under continuous play. Haven't had the trouble since, touch wood!
Cheers,
Thanks for you ideas, everybody. My unit is almost a year old and is fully broken in.

This morning, it seems to be playing SACDs, but the mechanical noise persists. It is both louder and more rapid at the lower-numbered tracks than towards the end of a disc. This should be a dead giveaway, I would think, to someone who knows how these things work. The noise is not present with redbook CDs nor with the CD layer of dual-layer discs.
Drubin,

Did you tried what I recommended you(level transport & Shut it off for a while) ?

Be patient !

I felt the same when I first heard that mechanical noise.

I forgot to mention you that it is good to unplug the unit from the AC.

Good Luck !

Frank P.
Yes, I powered down for two hours, re-leveled, and still have the clicking sound.