Comparing Wadia vs. Meitner

I believe that this represents the pinnacle of CD playback. Jerry, a fellow audiogoner was gracious enough to allow me to audition his broken-in Meitner CDSD / DCC2. In my system, the boxes were switched with mine, so they each had the same cables, power conditioning, power cords, and stand. Both were run directly into the amp without a preamp. My CD playback system includes the Wadia 27ix / 270se with the latest software and full modifications from Great Northern Sound. Also included are Elrod Statement power cords, a Hydra conditioner, and a Mana rack.

In short, I think that these are both excellent units. They are also very different in what they do. In my system, it was easy to distinguish between the two within several minutes. It probably comes down to personal preference in deciding which is best here. I’ll just simply say that I’m keeping the Wadia because I think it is a perfect match for my musical preferences, my system, and what I appreciate in music.

What I love about the Wadia is its ability to convey an (absolutely) astonishing amount of detail without being harsh or fatiguing. Not only is the melody and rhythm imaged with speed and coherence, but you can actually appreciate the musicians technique, the weight and color of the instrument(s), and the ambience of the recording venue. It simply presents a convincing image of a live event. The emotional quality is all there. You can understand what separates a great and (justly) famous professional musician from a pretty good one. Everything is properly proportioned, the soundstage is appropriate and believable, everything is audible, and the background is silent. From complex orchestral pieces and opera, to vocals, to solo instruments, I do not believe there are any weak spots. Again, it simply convinces and fools the mind into believing that you are sitting in front of the performance. I have frequented the concert halls, and I’d hate to say it but sometimes the recording is better.

I think that just about anybody could probably be happy with either of these 2 systems. Of course, curiosity makes us wonder if the grass is greener. I am just very content with where I am right now. I'd invite Jerry to make some comments when he gets a chance.

Rob
rtn1
hello Tim note Alex Peychev modifier Meitner/Phillips 1000 transport which Frankg says was a nice size sonic upgrade over the stock Meitner/Philips 1000 transport so it may possibly equal the CDSD performance?
Henryhk yes very little difference between the Meitner SACD vs. Wadia PCM performance. Yes I would definitely agree the stock 861 would definitely lose vs. Meitner Redbook and definitely SACD performance. The se transport is a good size upgrade and the GNSC statement upgrade is definitely very significant it sounds like a completely different player after modification.
dude where's the edit my post clickable link usually found under my last entry? Tried logging in several different ways still no edit link comes up even tried another browser? Anyway wanted to change modifier to modified in my first sentence in my above post. Justin
Having lived with the Meitner CDSA for about a month, and my modified Wadia 270SE/27ix for years, I thought I'd run a search on this forum for comparative information between the two. (Actually, I owe my good friend Steve credit for this lead)

My system comprises ARC Ref3/ARC REf 300 MkII and Pipedreams (Model 18 Hemisphere) with all Nordost cabling. I run the subwoofers with Bryston 7B monoblocks.

Basically, I am in full agreement with Rob (Rtn1). The Meitner excels in the mid range and high frequencies (it "brings back the air" as per Harry Pearson) but there is no question the Wadia is superior in the bass. The Meitner also is surprisingly a bit on the bright side in comparison to either the Wadia or LP (Goldmund Studio/T3F/Benz Ref II/ASR phono stage). At this point, I intend to keep both, mostly because I can finally play SACD (although this now appears like antiquated technology.) To be honest, if I was looking for the ideal CD playback unit, neither of these would probably be it. For better or worse, are entering the era where one almost has to be a bit nuts to buy anything with a drawer anymore since computer storage/music servers are the way of the future. Now that you can get a iPod that has both remote and a proprietary digital output (MSB iLink), the days of the giant CD player are short-lived indeed.
Ugamotz...a tip if you not done already. Upgrade the power cords and run the Meitner gear thru a good pwr conditioner...i find the gear responding this a lot, including bass.
Henry

Knowing Ugamotz and his system I can assure you that you are preaching to the choir on this one